Thursday, February 27, 2014

Link Party Reminder and February's Books

I think I'm a bit late with this, but I wanted to remind everyone that my Literary Stylings Link Party will be held next Tuesday and you're all in invited to link up with a look inspired by whatever it is you read this month.

Now, let's talk about what I read this month.

The Flame Throwers, by Rachel Kushner


This book was only okay for me.  I absolutely loved some parts, but the others were just not as good and, for me, that brought the whole book down.  I think part of the problem was that I wasn't able to connect with any of the characters; not with the main character, Reno, or anyone else.  So, I wasn't very invested in what happened to them.  And, if I'm honest, I'm not even sure what did happen to them; I was lost for the final part of the book.  Has anyone else read this book?  What did you think?


Geek Love, by Katherine Dunn


There is not much I can say about this book that I didn't share in this post.  But, I will say, again, that I highly recommend this book.  I think it's weird and creepy and fascinating and so very, very good.


The Good Thief, by Hannah Tinti


I think this book could be considered YA although it's not marketed that way, but I like it.  I'm not quite through, but so far it's very interesting and is definitely keeping my attention.  I especially love the characters; there are some great ones in here.  From the orphan Ren, to Mrs. Sands, to Dolly (a murderer with a woman's name), I kind of love everyone.  It's not the most thought-provoking book in the world, unlike the other two I read, but it's good and I'd recommend this one as well.

As I already posted a look inspired by Geek Love and I just can't care that much about The Flame Throwers, I'll probably end up wearing something inspired by The Good Thief on Tuesday.  But, we'll see.

Happy Thursday, All!

Gracey