That being said, the book is Under the Poppy, by Kathe Koja, and it was confusing as hell for
me. I’m honestly still not sure what it
was about or what happened. Things I do
know: The Poppy is a whorehouse, there was a lot of confusing wartime intrigue,
and the Madame of the whorehouse wore blue lovers' eye brooch. That brooch was given to her by her brother,
who got it from his sugar mama and it eventually ended up with the lead whore
although I’m not sure how.
Anyway, it was that brooch that inspired today’s outfit:
The blouse, obviously, represents the brooch. And the red belt represents the fact that a lot of people were killed, usually by a knife, in this book. The rest is just there because coming to work in nothing more than a blouse and a belt is seriously frowned upon.
![]() |
| Yes, those are eyes on my blouse. |
The blouse, obviously, represents the brooch. And the red belt represents the fact that a lot of people were killed, usually by a knife, in this book. The rest is just there because coming to work in nothing more than a blouse and a belt is seriously frowned upon.
Prior to reading this book, I had never heard of lovers' eye
jewelry. But, according to Wikipedia,
they are “Georgian miniatures, normally watercolor on ivory, depicting the eye
or eyes of a spouse, loved one or child.”
The fad started in the late 1700s and the pieces “were often worn as
bracelets, brooches, pendants or rings with richly decorated frames.”
Personally, I find those pretty darned creepy, but delightfully
so. Just like I find this vintage
eye-print blouse creepy, but delightfully so:
Happy Thursday, All!
And thank you so much to My Closet Catalogue for hosting Third Thursday
Threads!
Gracey
P.S., if you want, you can get a custom made lovers' eye for yourself or your loved one at this Etsy shop!
P.S., if you want, you can get a custom made lovers' eye for yourself or your loved one at this Etsy shop!



