Saturday, August 2, 2014

What I Read: July's Books

Actually, the title of this post should be "What I Read: July's Book" because although July was a long month, I only read one book.  Yes, that's right, just one.

It was this one:

Image via npr.org
July was just a really, really busy month for me between birthdays and music festivals and dining al fresco, I didn't have time to read.  But, I did read Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John Le Carre.

Spy novels aren't my usual genre-of-choice but got on a bit of a "British spy craft" kick after reading June's Sweet Tooth, so I read another British spy book.  This one was more serious than Sweet Tooth and, frankly, more confusing because the author uses a lot of spy slang that I can't suss out the meaning of even through context.  However, I will say that even though I was flying blind for much of the book, the third act made it all worth it.  As did the end, at least for me.  If you enjoy spy novels and you're familiar with British spy slang, I definitely recommend this book.

So, there you have it.  The one book I was able to finish in July.  The good news is that it makes next week's Literary Stylings Link Party really, really easy for me.  I actually know what book I'm going to be inspired by this time around!

What about you, Reader Friends?  What did you read in July?  Anything good?

Happy Saturday, All!

Gracey