Saturday, January 24, 2015

Let's Talk Leggings

Great news!  Who What Wear has decreed that we can all wear leggings again!  What's that?  You had no idea that leggings "have long been shunned by the fashion community for being an outdated staple" and you've been wearing them anyway?!  That's okay.  I have too.

Because, the fact of the matter is, I love leggings.  I don't necessarily wear them a lot on the blog, but you should know that I otherwise wear them pretty much all the time.  They're great for layering.  They're great for travel.  And they're great for weekends.  Really, they only thing they're NOT great for is wearing as pants.

However, not all leggings are created equal.  Especially when you're both tall and plus-sized.  But, there are some leggings that work on giants.  Here are my picks:


The Leather Look


For leather-look leggings, I love my pair from Long Tall Sally.  They are truly long (I had to undercuff them) and are available up to size XL.  However, they run quite big (I'm wearing Medium) so I'd say they'd fit a XXL with no problem.

If you're not a giant, the SPANX faux leather leggings and the HUE leatherette leggings have both gotten great reviews.



Ponte Knit


Ponte is a heavier knit, making these leggings a great choice if you live in a colder climate or if like a little more coverage with your leggings.  I'm wearing my pair from metrostyle and you can see they're a bit shorter on me than on the model, but they are designed for tall women and are available up to size XL.

For non-giants, I recommend HUE once again; I've had good luck with their leggings, even on my giant self.



Oh Cotton, My Cotton


In spite of the fact that they've, apparently, been obsolete for years, you can find standard black cotton leggings nearly everywhere, at nearly any price point.  Personally, I'm partial to the Ultra Wide Waistband leggings from HUE, worn above.  They're not as heavy as ponte, but they're still very nicely opaque.  And, while they don't come in Tall sizes, these leggings hit me at the same place on the ankle as the Tall metrostyle leggings, so they're definitely long enough.  And they aren't kidding about that "ultra wide waistband" either; they're super comfortable!  They're available up to size XL (16).

If you want a truly tall cotton legging, I'd recommend the Long Elegant Leggings from Long Elegant Legs.  They're available in up to size XXL (22-24), have a 36" inseam and are available in four different colors.  And Long Tall Sally offers their classic leggings in a 33" inseam, up to size XL, in 11 different colors!


And, finally, I'd like to recommend Mossimo Supply Co. leggings from Target.  They are neither terribly thick nor particularly long, but they are perfect for layering.  A lot of times higher-quality leggings can be too thick for layering under jeans.  These leggings are perfect for that.  They're also nice for warmer climates where you don't want anything too heavy.


So, how about it, Reader Friends?  Will you be wearing leggings again now that Who What Wear says it's okay?

Happy Saturday, All!

Gracey