Saturday, March 19, 2011

Friend Friday: What Have I Learned?

Hello, All!

I was observing a day of blogging silence yesterday for Japan, so I'm posting my weekly Fashion and Beauty Friend Friday question a day late.  For this week, Katy asked us to identify what the 5 hardest blogging lessons we’ve learned during the blogging process have been.  And how have those lessons helped make us better bloggers as a result. 

My answers are below, in no particular order.  To see how other FBFF participants answered this question, head on over to Katy’s blog, Modly Chic.

Lesson 1: I really don’t have any idea what I’m doing.   

I like blogging, but I suspect I’m not terribly good at it.  Especially when it comes to making my blog stand out.  Much of the advice about blogging admonishes us to “make our blogs unique” and “make them stand out” in a sea of personal style and fashion blogs. 

I don’t know that I’ve done that yet.  And I don't know that I know how.  But, it’s still early. My blog is still a work in progress and I think that’s okay.


Lesson 2:  What’s good for the goose isn’t always good for the gander.

I’ve found that things that have worked for other bloggers won’t necessarily work for me.  For example, I’ve read, repeatedly, that tweeting is good for your blog, but I still won’t do it.  Twitter just doesn’t make any sense to me. 


Lesson 3: You’re never fully dressed without a smile. 

I’m only sort of kidding.  I’ve gotten so many great comments about my ever-present smile, it makes me realize that I’m doing the right thing by just being me and keeping my rather large smile in all of my pictures.


Lesson 4: More reader interaction is a good thing.

This one was hard for me because I didn’t want my readers to feel as though I was putting them to work on my blog, but I don’t think any of you feel that way (right?).  I think the people who do comment do so because they want to, not because they feel obligated.  So, now, I’m trying harder to ask for opinions on ideas I’ve presented in my post or for ideas on what to pair with an item.


Lesson 5: Being a little more open about myself might be a good thing.

It may be that people could actually be interested in learning more about me than what I wore on a particular day (clothes) and how I feel about pattern mixing (love).  I don’t want to waste anyone’s time babbling about my non-existent love life, but I suppose people can always just scroll through the words to get to the pictures. 


In closing, I will demonstrate the last two lessons from above. 

What do you guys think?  Would you rather I just stuck to photos of my daily outfits, or would you welcome more words about me?  Or even fewer words?

As always, thank you all so very much for reading!

Gracey

16 comments:

  1. Well of course I love the daily outfit photos and I would certainly enjoy more words about you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your daily outfit posts and I agree with the comment above. More words about you is also a great idea. It's nice learn more about bloggers I enjoy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More please! I think one of the joys of reading personal style blogs rather than just browsing street style photos or fashion magazines is that you get to catch a glimpse into the blogger's life. How much you reveal or conceal is up to you, but even a tiny bit of insight into what makes a blogger tick is enough to keep a reader coming back for more. Of course, no one likes a whiner, which makes blogging through the more trying times in life a bit of a challenge! But it can also be very encouraging to read about another blogger's every day struggles and setbacks...it gives us perspective in facing our own challenges, and fosters a sense of solidarity and community.

    Bleeding hearts! My childhood favorites! I'm glad you enjoyed the post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think your blog is great- i think the key thing to remember is to do it for yourself, and that's why i enjoy it SO tremendously much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think there are several things that are unique about your blog. First, your height. Second, your smile. Third, that you bike to work. You're doing more right than you know.

    I just started tweeting in January. I spend a few minutes each day and it is starting to make more sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I was just browsing your sidebar and discovered Medicinal Marzipan. Yay! What an awesome blog. As a firm believer in a little self-indulgence being the best possible medicine (my flu did not relent until I gave up trying to eat super healthy and at an entire bag of barbecue potato chips. Coincidence? I think not.), her message really strikes a chord with me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I'll second everything that Terri said about what makes your blog stand out! I also like that you take other bloggers' outfits and make them giant-friendly.

    And of course you can share more about yourself! If there's something on your mind or happening in your life that you want to share, go on and share!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to hear more about you -- and I agree with Terri. Your biking to work is very unique. I find that very impressive, and something I couldn't do even when I lived a mile away from my office! And your height.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gracey, I love your blog and I do find it very unique! I too have no idea how to twitter :) I feel like I'm happy doing the blog thing the old fashioned way (can a blog really be old fashioned?).

    ReplyDelete
  10. The blogs I always read and love to comment on are the ones run by people who I enjoy. Yours is one I always look forward to, and while I like your clothes and what you do with them, what I adore is you.

    Although I don't agree with Terry about your height making you unique...but that's because it's my height, too! Seems normal to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The style blogs I like most are those that are by people with what I find to be a interesting take on the world, expressed in words as well as pictures. I initially go to a style blog for the outfit pictures, because they spur my own thinking about how to put together clothes, but I stay as a reader because of the blogger's personality. I love hearing about what elements bloggers like and why, what they're thinking as they put together outfits, how they felt when they wore it out in the world, what else a piece of clothing or an accessory made them think of.

    And in a way it seems absurd to think about getting to "know" someone via a blog, but we're humans and we seek connections in whatever ways we can.

    P.S. I organize my closet by color, too. Of course, I also alphabetize my spice cabinet--but that's so that I can find whatever I need right away, rather than rummaging around and knocking everything over. The rest of the house is not nearly as well organized--piles of papers and tools that I can never find when I need them.

    Reader request: Make an outfit with the leopard-print top thingy visible in the closet picture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to hear more about you and the life you are living. I totally understand the twitter thing, too. I want to enjoy my blog not really focus on growing it. It will grow on it's own, so I don't do twitter because it doesn't feel right. I actually don't have any facebook page either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would LOVE to know more about you, sugar! Other than that, I think you're doing a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Allison - thank you, Allison. More words it is!

    @GretchTM - thank you, Gretchen. I agree, it is nice to know at least a little something about the bloggers you read.

    @Rose - lol. I promise to keep the whining to a minimum. And I'm so glad you liked the Medicinal Marzipan blog - I enjoy reading her so much. Of course I also like self-indulgence...

    @Jessica - thank you. I think I enjoy blogging for the same reason I enjoy dressing - I do it because I like it not because I'm being forced into anything.

    @Terri - thank you for the encouraging words. I appreciate it.

    @Anne - I like my giant-friendly posts too. I actually don't have to much to share, but I will when I do.

    @Claire - it is sort of an oxymoron to call our blogs "old-fashioned," isn't it? But, they kind of are.

    @Katie - aw, you're so sweet. Thank you! (And you're right, six feet for a woman is totally normal. lol.)

    @Sue - this makes perfect sense. And I know that I've read some blogs and looked at the featured outfit and wondered: where are you going in that? And how in the world did you come up with that? I will definitely try to speak more to why I decide to wear what I do.

    And I will try to sneak that leopard top in sometime this week or next for you. ;-)

    @Destrehan's Daughter - Okay, you'll hear more, but don't expect anything too exciting, unless my shoes fall of while biking (no, seriously, this has happened).

    @Erin - Wow. Fabulous? Thank you, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The reader interaction is such a great pointer and one I sorely neglect. Too busy chit chatting about my life probably ;) That said - more words please :D I for one am very nosy so I'd love to hear more from you

    Have a great start to the week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Stef - I'm totally nosy too, so I like that you chit chat about your life!

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).