Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Closet MVP – The Apricot Sweater

Yes, I know I’ve already worn this sweater this month, but I’ve decided I love it and wanted to wear it again.




I’ve also decided this sweater is highly versatile and will probably wear it again and again, so I hope you all like it too.  I first wore it here with polka dots and I’m wearing it today with stripes.  I paired the sweater (thrifted) and the navy/white striped tee (Gap) with my trouser jeans (Banana Republic) and Mary Jane wedges (Corso Como via Piperlime).   


This felt a bit 70s to me, so I decided to roll with that feeling and wear a floral scarf (thrifted) as a belt.  The scarf doesn’t have any apricot in it, but it has tan, pink and orange flowers that if you squint, combine to look like apricot.

My thighs hate these jeans.  I try to tell them it’s for the good of the whole, but I think they’re planning a coup.  They’re so militant at times. 

I’m surprised I was able to muster up a smile for these pictures.  Today was horrible.  I am covering for my friend and co-worker, Kathy, and trying to do her job (which I barely understand) and mine (better understood, but not by much) is killing me.  I have a whole week of this mess and I am not excited.

What I am excited about?  This outfit.  The transition time between seasons usually gives me fits.  I don’t have a lot of items that can go easily between season in weight or color, so I usually just wear dark clothes until April or May and then wear my spring/summer clothes.  But, I think this outfit is a good compromise.  I’m warm, but the sweater is nice and spring-like even though the weather is not so much.

What about you, dear readers?  Any tips for transitioning between seasons?  Are you tired of the sweater yet?  It won’t stop me from remixing it again, but I want you to feel like you can share your feelings.

Tuesday (no, no happy Tuesday, just Tuesday),

Gracey

16 comments:

  1. i loooove the apricot sweater and the shoes! i think for transitioning seasons to just say byebye to pants and hello to shorts/skirts/dresses. sweaters are still a go though! :)

    <3 steffy
    steffysprosandcons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beware thigh coups! I once had breasts rebel against a shirt and I never did find all the buttons...

    Isn't it the best when you adore thrifted pieces? It feels like the best score!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this sweater! it's a great color and such cute little details.

    sorry about your work, hope the week goes by fast for you.

    i kinda love to do boots and shorts or dresses for in between seasons. cuz i feel like it's spring but still kinda chilly so you can wear boots, but i can also do little spring dresses or cute shorts with a sweater. it's fun!

    spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry your work situation is getting you down. Fingers crossed you'll get through the week without too much stress & onto a much happier weekend.

    I really do like this apricot sweater & I feel emboldened to try slightly puffy sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you call it your closet MVP...I may need to steal that :)...The sweater is a gorgeous color on you and the scarf adds a nice touch...I think you remixed it really well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sweater and think it could be key to season transition - you can wear it with layers for now, and then on it's own when it warms up. I have a tiny closet, so usually transitioning means boxing up the sweaters and pulling out the shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sweater! I wear the same stuff all the time, just with different jewelry and shoes! Thigh rebelling jeans, though, those might have to be donated for the good of your sanity! I have a rule, if it makes me cranky, I DON'T WEAR IT. Because then I take it out on everyone else, and no one wants that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am joining in the sweater love :) Nice to see it again :)

    Luckily it doesn't get so very cold here in winter. It just gets a few degrees below freezing so a bit of layering and a winter coat will do. Unfortuantely summer isn't particularly warm either which means I wear the same clothes year around but I am not so sure I am pleased with that ;)
    Someone send me a heat wave! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so done with winter that I've been practicing tying a hang-mans knot ( okay, not really, but close). That said, I'm with you on the bane that is the change of seasons. At what temperature are open-toed shoes okay, when can the white pants come out? I think your outfit is perfect, beautiful soft spring color and I'm digging the scarf as belt. Oh, and love your sense of humor that very clearly reads in your writing. Glad to have found you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that floral scarf is beautiful!!! I almost wish it wasn't as a belt because it's TOO hidden! But I like your creative use =) Great sweater, too. Nothing wrong with wearing something more than once a month....or more than once a week, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Steffy - I want to wear more skirts and dresses, but it has been freezing here. I think I might just be over-eager for spring.

    @Katie - Shhh. Don't mention your breast rebellion. I don't want my thighs getting any ideas! And yes, I love it when I love a thrifted item!

    @GretchTM - thanks, Gretchen. I think so too.

    @Claire - I do like the idea of keep my boots for a bit longer - especially my riding boots. I go into withdrawal when they go away for the summer.

    @Ana - my week has to get better - I can't imagine it getting any worse. And if my broad-shouldered self (and how!) can do a slight poof, I think it'd be lovely on you.

    @Emmy - steal away! And I love the color of this sweater so I'm glad to hear it looks good on me. Would I still wear it if it didn't? Maybe...

    @Allison - I have to transition my stuff out too, but I'm trying to pair my wardrobe down to a point where I don't have to. I'll let you know how that goes.

    @Erin - my thighs are always cranky, so I tend not to listen to them, but I think you're right about these pants. Away they go!

    @Stef - Oregon has pretty temperate weather too, but it does get hot in the sumnmer. I think I'd be sad to not have hot summers - I love the heat. Sure it'd be nice to not have to transition, but I'd still choose hot summers.

    @JazzyE - Thank you!

    @northeastchic - thank you so much for stopping by! I'm very glad I found your blog too (via The House in the Clouds) - I can't wait to read more!

    @Mary - I know what you mean about the scarf - I can't wait to wear it again (maybe within a month's time) where it's more visible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't realize that wearing scarves as belts was a 70s thing ... I've seen a couple of people mention it. It's about the only way I am comfortable wearing a scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Kari - I don't know why I associate scarf belts with the 70s, but I do. Whenever I think of a scarf as a belt, I get an image in my head of a woman in a jumpsuit belted with a scarf. Totally 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ah yeah -- you're right. I can just see that jumpsuit now. ewww ... at least the ones that I'm picturing are pretty ewww ...

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).