Friday, December 2, 2011

I Made This Sweater

…into a cardigan.  Of course I didn’t make the sweater, that's pure lunacy.  Jones New York made the sweater.  But, I did make it into a cardigan:



I thrifted the sweater because of its vaguely Southwestern motif which is on trend for fall (“Southwestern” I mean, not “Vaguely Southwestern” although if the trend were “Vaguely Southwestern” it would be sort of awesome, right?) and because I thought I could make it work.  I couldn’t.  Between the cut (boxy) and the fringe (fringe-y) it wasn’t working for me.  So I decided to try to refashion it into a cardigan.  And it was really easy.  I just cut the sweater down the front, folded the raw edges under and zigzag stitched each side.  

And, frankly, I think it’s an improvement.  I feel like I’ve taken the sweater from being boxy and dated to being kitschy and amusing.  And if you follow my blog, you know I love the kitsch and I love to laugh.  In keeping with the vaguely Southwestern theme (and the kitsch), I paired the “cardigan” (Jones New York Sport, thrifted) with a chambray tunic (Old Navy), riding leggings (Vince Camuto via Nordstrom), riding boots (Born Crown “Sosie” via Nordstrom), a turquoise beaded necklace (rummaged) and silver and turquoise earrings (Mom-ed).

The earrings:


In closing, I'd like to say the following: one, please forgive the wrinkles.  It was just that type of day.  Two, making a cardigan out of a sweater is super easy; you should try it.  Three, Happy Friday, Everyone.  And four, of course, is..

Have a marvelous weekend, folks!

Gracey

19 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! And you told me you aren't crafty... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gracey you did make it better! it's also more versatile. think of all the types of blouses you can wear underneath it. with all the kinds of necklaces, & even belts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You tease! Your heading really had me thinking you'd sewn a sweater. What you did was, however, an improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a fab job! I love a southwestern print...maybe it is because I am from Texas. Also, thanks for the shout out the other day. Hope you have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the sweater! you did an amazing job!
    thanks for sharing!

    if you like we can follow each other on bloglovin :)
    let me know!
    STYLE DECORUM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job at your refashion! Love your vaguely southwestern outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect example of something you refashioned and something I'd just raise my eyebrows at and put back, haha. I love the bold colors in it. Also, I wish "vaguely Southwestern" would be on trend. Just because I'd be amused.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Talented Gracey! TALENTED! I never thought about converting it. Looks great. Hope you're having an amazing weekend. :D
    http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. “Vaguely Southwestern” would be totally awesome.
    Love your new sweater-cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! I'd never have dared to cut into a knitted thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gracey, this is something that I never would have thought to do (I'm not that crafty) but it looks great and sounds so simple! Next time I fall in love with a sweater at the thrift shop I'm going to remember this...and then try it myself!
    In closing, I love this "cardigan" for most of the reasons you pointed out (vague SW vibe and fringe-y fringe) and it looks great paired with chambray!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gracey! This is such a great idea and it looks so cute on you! I actually prefer vaguely southwestern to full on southwestern. :)

    http://theclosetintervention.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. that's such a great idea! i don't know why I haven't been doing it all along! I see all these ugly sweaters that I would love to wear... if they weren't sweaters!
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea!! It looks so cute on you! :)

    Jayme & Mendi @ Her Late Night Cravings
    http://www.herlatenightcravings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. So great! Especially with the beaded necklace over the denim. Perfect mix of kitschy and trendy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gracey -- I have been stockpiling sweaters to do this with. And yeah. I mean stockpiling them. That's as far as I have gotten. But I do want to try it out. I think you've given me the encouragement to try. And have I told you how much I love these boots? Probably every time you wear them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So nice what you did. I always fall for nice diys.I hope to see some more of your projects.Anyway, it's a great cardigan!

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).