I decided to base this month's Literary Stylings outfit on the Divergent series, by Veronica Roth:
It really should have been a more obvious choice than it was. Clothing plays a very big role in these books as the five different Factions are all identified, in part, by their clothing which helps demonstrate their cultivated virtue.
The main character, Beatrice/Tris, was born into the Abnegation Faction. Members of Abnegation wear head to toe gray to demonstrate, in part, that they don't care about their looks because that would be selfish and their virtue is selflessness. The other Factions include the Amity; their colors are orange, red and yellow and their virtue is peacefulness. There are also the Dauntless; their virtue is bravery and their color is black. The Erudite have the virtue of intelligence and their color is blue. And the Candor have the virtue of honesty and their colors are black and white.
I think I resisted using these books because I like to think I wouldn't belong in any of these factions because they all have their flaws (yes, even the peaceful Amity). But, the more I thought about it, the more I think that if I had to choose a faction, it would be the Erudite and I would wear blue.
So, for today, I did. Head to toe blue:
Why Erudite? Well, I love reading and learning new things. When I was younger, reading was pretty much my favorite past time and I would have rather read then pretty much anything else. That hasn't changed much since I've gotten older. I still love reading and I still love learning. If I were rich, I'd just stay in college indefinitely, learning and getting degree after degree.
So, yes, Erudite would have been my chosen faction if I were to have to choose at age 16 (or even now). And the wearing of my beloved blue? That's just a bonus:
Of course, I am not really a member of the Erudite faction, so I went ahead and wore a very Amity red coat as well:
And now my friends, it is your turn. If you were sartorially inspired by something you read last month, please link up below!
Happy Tuesday, All!
Gracey




