Thursday, November 15, 2012

Gracey Wins Again



I don’t wear this sweater dress/tunic/thingy very often because it’s quite difficult for me to style.  But, this morning, I thought if a shar pei can look cute covered in loose folds, so can I:



Okay, so maybe that's not the best logic I’ve ever applied to an outfit, but I kind of feel like this works.  Probably because I also wore a turtleneck and they make everything better.  In addition to the sweater thing (???) and the turtleneck (Gap), I also wore a knit pencil skirt (Elementz via Macy’s) and herringbone tights (Hue).  I finished the look with a belt (thrifted), cuffed boots (Gap) and a fringe necklace (Jessica Simpson via Macys).

In all honesty, I think it’s probably the belt that saved this look, not the turtleneck; although I think we can all agree that the turtleneck played a strong supporting role.  The problem is that no matter how carefully I arrange the folds of this sweater, it has a tendency to accentuate my tummy.  By belting it with a contrasting belt at the smallest part of my waist (also known as my ribs), I fool the eye into thinking my waist is smaller than it is.  Yeah, take that, foolish eyes; Gracey wins again! Muah ha ha ha ha.

Happy Thursday, All!

Gracey


Shop The Look
Similar sweaterdress
Similar pencil skirt (I looked for my actual skirt, which I got just last weekend on clearance at Macy's, but couldn't find it online.  They had a lot left in the store though.)
Similar herringbone tights
Similar cuffed boots
Similar necklace
Similar turtleneck
 
 
** Disclosure: Actions taken from the hyperlinks in this blog post may yield commission/compensation for the writer. Please see the Disclosure tab for more details.


23 comments:

  1. You really did a great job with this outfit! I never would have thought to wear that tunic thingy with a turtleneck and skirt. And I think it looks really flattering on you! (Also, I'm dying over those boots. Need.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still loving grey-and-drapey over here, so of course, I love this look.

    The graphic print on that skirt is particularly awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracey, you are far too critical. This is a wonderful outfit and it looks great on yhou.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It certainly isn't emphasising your tummy from where I'm sitting, you look as elegant and svelte as always. So yes, Gracey, and the belt, win this round! If the cardigan is Starsky, this tunic should surely be known as Shar pei from now on! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the mix of neutrals, splash of print, and all the layers! You make me wanna wear more turtlenecks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Winner winner chicken dinner! You know, I may have to reconsider turtlenecks. Also, I love your fringe necklace and skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such an elegant and cozy look! And that pencil skirt is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is layered up perfectly, I love the print of the skirt.

    Wish turtleneck shirts didn't make me feel like I was being choked! They really do create a good visual layer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that this post ended with maniacal laughter. (: That skirt has an awesome pattern, I see you're rocking the Oregon boots look, and layers are always my kryptonite, so congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that sharpei thing a lot! Excellent styling and waist-accenting. As I have no waist, I am very jealous of it in others :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the turtle neck with this and sure wouldnt think the top brings attention to your tummy... even with you making me look there I dont see anything bad!! :)
    What about this top with a black turtle neck, black leggings and knee high boots? With the belt too :)

    good job.. its always fun to experiment! xo J

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great look, Gracey! Totally love that sweater-thing and the print on that skirt.

    xo,
    Terry

    http://terrys-two-cents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. You put together yet another winner, Gracey - love the belt done up high, and the boots are making me happy : > Great look.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like it Gracey...its very pretty and soft looking. Lovely, lovely outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look amazing and are always full of win, Gracey! The colour of the turtleneck (in addition to its turtleneck-powers) adds a nice dimension, and I particularly like that skirt!

    I quite like your mysterious sweater-garment as well, and see none of the tummy-highlighting you describe. If I wasn't the sort whose mending pile totally overwhelms the still-substantial alterations pile (considering challenging myself to a "From the Mending Pile" week - or two!), I'd be tempted to try running a thread along the shoulder seam to pull in the gathers there a bit more, but that effect could go either way. It's good as it is, and you are my hero for styling unusual items!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I alwasy love reading your outfit analysis. Haha. I like the pattern of your skirt and how it adds interest to the solids. Cute!

    www.beautyandbows.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with you on the turtleneck front. And the only reason I can wear a cowl neck right now is because I have a belly you can't really ignore anyway. :) I'll have to try a belt when I'm back to normal and see if that saves my one cowl neck from the donation pile!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've nominated you for the Leibster & Versatile Blogger Awards! Check out my blog for the details!x

    theistyleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. i quite adore this whole outfit, from color scheme, to texture, interest, & yes fit! :) oh gracey you are too funny comparing the folds of that pretty sweater to a shar pei dog. you look nothing like a dog, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like this outfit--the belt does seem to control the "folds"

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the pattern on that skirt!

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).