Monday, April 7, 2014

A Midi and A Moto

I've never been able to figure out how the girls on Pinterest are able to pair a midi, a moto and a pair of ankle boots without looking both stumpy and wide.  Of course, not knowing how to do something doesn't stop me from trying.  Case in point:




I'm fairly certain it has something to do with the ratio of shaft height to heel height on the boots.  Also probably a factor is the length of the dress in relation to the boots.  But, I have no idea what those ratios should be.  That being said, I do think this is probably my most successful attempt at the look:

Dress: c/o MarketPlace: Handwork of India   Jacket: Kenneth Cole NY   Boots: Splendid


And to be honest, what I think makes it successful, if, indeed it is, is the dress.  This dress is beautiful.  It's the perfect color and the print is gorgeous:


It's part of the MarketPlace: Handwork of India Spring Collection and I love it.  I love the fit and I love that it's actually a midi, even on my tall self.  I was actually concerned that it wouldn't be, but I think the length is perfect.  And, of course, like all MarketPlace items, it is hand-printed, hand-embroidered and its manufacturing helps provide jobs and training to female artisans in India.

So, yeah, I'm honestly not sure I'm pulling off a midi and a moto; all I'm really sure about is that I will be wearing the heck out of this dress from here until next fall.

Happy Monday, All!

Gracey


Get the Look
MarketPlace: Handwork of India "Malwa" dress
Similar mixed media moto (here or here)
Splendid ankle boots


16 comments:

  1. You're all set to jump on back of my motorcycle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely pulling it off. It looks great and I agree that is one gorgeous dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh, I totally hear you on this! I, too, love the look of a midi and boots - it speaks to the juxtaposition lover in me - but always fear exactly what you say: looking stumpy. And I also agree that the ratio is key. Take Exhibit A, for example: http://myclosetcatalogue.com/2014/04/07/ootd-of-back-to-front-and-killer-kimonos/

    I like the whole outfit but something still niggled in the back of my mind. Then, this morning, I substituted the cowboy boots for a pair of flat brown knee high boots and all of a sudden, my happiness factor went through the roof. :)

    Too bad I didn't have time to take pics of the new and improved outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow, oh wow, this looks so cool! You are one cool rock chick here. Definitely one of my favourites and I would steal that dress from your closet any minute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job with the proportions here, and I have to agree: that dress is amazing!! Of course, I'm a little biased towards artisan and fair trade pieces anyways, but the color and print make this dress a showstopper! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Market-place dress is so pretty! And I think you pulled off the moto/midi look to perfection. And I know you have a bike!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the soft and hard look of this outfit
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes you are. Pulling it off, that is. LOVE the colour of the dress. It works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look fantastic! I do love the dress, but I love the moto jacket the most! So structured/tough, but it looks like it's not overly bulky or teensy (the problems I keep running into with moto jackets).

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! did you lose some weight?
    really love how you look here!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you look fabulous! One of my favorite outfits of yours. That dress is gorgeous, and such a lovely color on you, but the jacket and shoes add an unexpected edge that is just delightful. You've inspired me to seek out all of these items for myself! :)

    adventuresinhel.blogspot.fi 

    ReplyDelete
  12. Neither stumpy nor wide, Gracey - just gorgeous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll join the chorus that loves this outfit--the look suits you so well, you should keep trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Huh! I think you look great. Neither stumpy nor wide!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The proportions look good to me. I like this look.

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).