Friday, January 14, 2011

I'm just a giant copycat

Daily Outfit, 1/14/2011



The Breakdown:
  • Polka dot 'tunic' - Eddie Bauer - thrifted
  • Blue cardigan - Beth Bowley - Nordstrom Rack
  • Wide, not-leather belt - Target
  • Flirt Skinny Jeans - Old Navy
  • Black fold-over boots - Chinese Laundry - Piperlime
I warned you that I blatantly copied entire outfits at times.  And this is one of those times.  Oh, I could lie to you and say I'm not proud of it, but I am proud of this outfit.  Audi over at Fashion for Nerds did this outfit in spring of last year, and I loved it.  And I had all of the (similar) pieces to recreate it.  I wasn't sure if it would work for my body (Audi is on the taller side, but she's no giant), but I thought that it might.  And I think that it did!  It just goes to show you that you have to try things out - you may think they may not work for you for whatever reason, but give it a shot.

Another example of that is this polka-dot tunic.  I'm pretty sure this bad boy is actually supposed to be a dress.  And the size?  It's a petite.  Ordinarily I would never venture into petite territory, because if there is one thing I'm not, it's petite.  However, this petite dress makes a perfect tunic for a giant.

To be fair, there is a downside to trying things out.  For example, I found a dress at Ross Dress for Less once.   Do you guys have these?  They can be fabulous if you've got time to sort through the not-so-fabulous.  I knew the dress was probably too small, but I loved the print (Polka dots.  I'm telling you, I cannot resist.) and I tried it on.  And promptly got stuck in it.  In the Ross dressing room.  Alone.  After about 20 minutes I was able to wriggle my way out but it was touch and go there for awhile. 

So, be adventurous, but realistic.  Otherwise you could end up trapped in dress in a discount clothing store.  And, take it from me, no one wants that.

Have a good weekend, everyone!  Don't get stuck in any too-small clothes!

Gracey

9 comments:

  1. I just had a good chuckle. I have also been stuck in clothes in a dressing room. I told myself not to panic, and worked my way out of the dress. Slowly.
    I love your outfit and your tips - I've got a few tunics that are supposed to be dresses :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allison. I'm glad it's not just me that's had the misfortune to get stuck in clothes in a dressing room. I was worried no one would relate to this story.

    And yep, I'm all about a dress as a tunic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got stuck in a dress once, too! It was a beautiful wool vintage dress, and it was summer, and I didn't want to break something so unique.
    This outfit is great. I see the Audi influence but it's definitely also very Gracey. I like the blues and the polka dots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha--I've been stuck in tops in fitting rooms. How I can get stuff on but not get it off, I don't know.

    Question for ya re giving things a shot: I went out and got two pairs of gray-and-black leopard print shoes--Aerosoles' Nu Day loafer and their Patrole Car ankle boot (covering both flat-heel and high-heel bases). I love 'em, but I'm really nervous about wearing them--I'm in my mid-40s and it's only in the last year or so that I've been trying to break the jeans-and-T-shirt rut. Since you said you like animal prints, any advice about taking the plunge?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've gotten stuck in a dress in a dressing room before too. To make matters worse I was shopping for a dress to cover a hickey (yes at married and 33). I did manage to wriggle out but the dress didn't serve my purposes and there was a super helpful sales lady on the other side of the door whose help I had not interest in. I'm sure that's not the only time but it is the most memorable. I'm tall with long arms so sometimes on is way easier then off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once got so stuck that I had to text my boyfriend to come and help me out - I was too embarrassed for any of the clerks to know! The worst for me is getting pieces stuck on my chest or hips - you practically need to bring food and water with you in case you're in there a while...

    I'm checking out skinnies on Old Navy right now because you look amazing in yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I figured out that I get stuck in things I have to pull on and off over my head. My hips aren't the problem because if I can't get something over them, I just can't get it on.

    My shoulders and back, however, are a different story. I have a very broad back (like a swimmer) and when I go to pull something off over my head, my not inconsiderable back muscles flex and voila, I am stuck.

    Anon - your shoes sound adorable and I think they'll be easier to style than you might think because animal print is practically a neutral. At least in my book. Since you are a self-professed t-shirt and jeans lover, you could wear them with a t-shirt and jeans (or sweater and jeans for winter). That way you're trying something new, but are still within your comfort zone. Baby steps. And then when you're ready, you can make the animal print the focus with a black or grey skirt and sweater, combine your animal print with brights, or even with other patterns if that's your thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just want to say thank you for the bit of encouragement on the animal prints--I took a deep breath and wore the leopard-print booties today with dark taupe skinny pants, a long maroon V-neck tee, a black knit sweater vest, and a chunky dark necklace. It felt fantastic! Onward to more fashion adventures . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous, that outfit sounds stellar. I'm glad you felt comfortable and confident in it - that's the true sign of a great outfit!

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).