Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Silver Flowers on a Blue Field

I’ve always liked that flags and coats of arms are described as having a design element on a “field” (like a red lion on a green field).  I just think it’s both a lovely and effective way to describe them.  So it made me quite happy to be able to describe the "blouse" in today’s outfit in a similar manner:



Here is a close up of the aforementioned print:

The background looks black here, but it really is navy.

The “blouse” on this outfit is actually a tank dress (Gap, thrifted) that is a bit too short for me to wear as a dress but that I love the print of.  I decided to try it today as a top, paired with my blue high-waist skirt (vintage, thrifted) and navy platform sandals (MRKT via DSW).  I added a thin belt (Gap), watch and blue and white bracelet (local craftsman).

I’m always hesitant to layer dresses under skirts because my hips have threatened to join my thighs in rebellion if there is too much volume.  However, I think the thin fabric of the dress works well under the thicker, stiffer fabric of the skirt in this instance.

Today’s Takeaway?  When layering, pay attention to the thickness of the fabrics involved – it can be the difference between looking sleek, and having to fight off an attempted coup by volume-hating body parts.

Happy Wednesday, All!

Gracey

15 comments:

  1. The dress has a beautiful print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love prints like this. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just lovely and the shoes are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh! The SHOES! Perfect complement to a great outfit.

    I've been reading the whole 'Game of Thrones' series as fun-reading, and so there's lots and lots of heraldry. It's made me want to make up my own--something silly like "silver terrier on a turquoise field."

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the skirt...your thrifting finds are amazing! I have only done the dress skirt combo a few times for the same reason

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why does it seem like Gap dresses are always too short? But I'm glad you found another way to wear the dress. it's a lovely coat of arms, and that skirt looks fantastic on you (especially in the first shot)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sincerely hope you keep the coup in check. I love the different blues in your outfit today. I think I will forever be in love with this color. I also think if that dress is buttcovering but short you should try it with sweaters, boots, and leggings for fall. I bet it would be super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this looks great and your hips don't seem anywhere near a rebellion. You can really rock that skirt length :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely skirt! I can't get enough of blue...it is one of my faves! Kiah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah Layering, another blogger talent that I have yet to master. You look lovely as always. And you have the best shoe wardrobe ever. Or if you are from New England Evah;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm crazy about the blue of the skirt and the shoes! Can't wait to see what else you wear the skirt with, it seems like it would pair well with a lot of different colors.

    Heraldry terms are so interesting! I think my coat of arms would be a bug-eyed Chihuahua, rampant, on a puce field.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to have that exact dress and wore it to bits. It looks just lovely the way you've layered it! I hope you get just as much joy out of your as I did from mine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wowee you look like a hot momma in this!!! that skirt fits you perfectly!!

    <3 steffy
    Steffys Pros and Cons

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's the SKIRT! I just love this skirt!!! Hugs! ~Serene

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).