Friday, April 13, 2012

Pattern Mixing 101


I think a lot of people shy away from pattern mixing because two patterns close together can be unsettling to the eye.  I don’t mind being unsettled or unsettling, but can understand how pattern mixing is an acquired taste.  So, today I am demonstrating one of the easiest ways to mix patterns in an outfit.  It’s Pattern Mixing 101:



Photo via Piperlime

For today's lesson, I paired a striped tee (Jones New York via Ross) with abstract floral flats (Nine West “Fascinate” via Piperlime) and dark jeans (Gap Real Straight).  I also added a vintage turquoise-colored bracelet for a little color in the top half of the outfit.

Now, let’s break down why this works: 

One, if you’re going to mix patterns, it really is best, especially at first, to keep the patterns in the same color family.  In this case, although my shoes are a lovely shade of tangerine, the pattern on them is the same color as the pattern on the top (or at least close enough for government work). 

Two, the stripes and floral aren’t at all jarring because they’re not close together; instead they separated by the expanse of the jeans. 

Three, it works because I believe it does; seriously, a little confidence goes a long way.

So, how about it, Reader Friends; if you don’t already mix patterns, does this help you get started?

Happy Friday, Everyone!  Have a wonderful weekend!

Gracey

17 comments:

  1. Those floral flats are so ladylike and pretty...perfect for summer. Can't wait to see you post more outfits with them.

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    Enter my Shabby Apple GIVEAWAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOH! I love those shoes! How cute. You're right, that does work! My ex boyfriend used to wear plaid shorts and Hawaiian shirts and insist it was fine because the colors went together. I notice Anthropologie puts similar outfits together! He's probably all smug

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always like when people break down their outfits and explain why it works. :) You're right, the jeans balance out the stripes and floral. Love the patterned shoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty, pretty flats, and you know I'm a fool for a striped boat neck top. I am studying hard on the pattern mixing :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job mixing those patterns! You look lovely and those flats are great :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wise words. I'm going to mix patterns one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have done some timid pattern mixing. what works for me is to cross my eyes and try to see the predominant color in a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This lesson helped me. I'm so clueless on this subject that starting with basic advice helps. Danke!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gracey, I love your confidence. I love your shoes and mixing patterns 101 is awesome. Simple but chic. Love the shoes...really. Dawn Suitcase Vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. You get an A+ for Pattern Mixing 101!
    (And I lovelovelove those flats!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE those flats! The pattern is beyond amazing - it manages to be adorable without being twee. I love them, and I heartily applaud your excellent pattern mixing abilities!

    ReplyDelete
  12. aww, thanks for the tips, Gracey! i definitely like pattern mixing though have to admit i haven't been doing so much of it lately. i really need to start again. i always love seeing it on other bloggers. some of my faves though are polka dots and stripes together. but i really ought to start mixing my tribal prints with stripes or something bold like that!

    love the shoes. those are sooo something i would choose too!

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well put! This is such a helpful post for people just starting the mixed prints trend. And you're totally right... confidence is KEY! (For every look, I believe ; )

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love mixing prints and this is the perfect way to do it without getting it wrong! You look great.

    www.styliststeph.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loooove pattern mixing, and a subtle way to do it is a great way to start :) thanks for your kind words about my spraing <3

    Tasia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your shoes and your attitude! I'm your newest follower!
    --TS

    ReplyDelete
  17. great pattern mixing! love the casual look :-)

    ~nic
    www.nics-picks.com

    PS those flats are GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).