I think a lot of people shy away from pattern mixing because
two patterns close together can be unsettling to the eye. I don’t mind being unsettled or unsettling,
but can understand how pattern mixing is an acquired taste. So, today I am demonstrating one of the
easiest ways to mix patterns in an outfit.
It’s Pattern Mixing 101:
![]() |
| Photo via Piperlime |
For today's lesson, I paired a striped tee (Jones New York via Ross) with
abstract floral flats (Nine West “Fascinate” via Piperlime) and dark jeans (Gap
Real Straight). I also added a vintage
turquoise-colored bracelet for a little color in the top half of the outfit.
Now, let’s break down why this works:
One, if you’re going to mix patterns, it really is best,
especially at first, to keep the patterns in the same color family. In this case, although my shoes are a lovely
shade of tangerine, the pattern on them is the same color as the pattern on the
top (or at least close enough for government work).
Two, the stripes and floral aren’t at all jarring because
they’re not close together; instead they separated by the expanse of the
jeans.
Three, it works because I believe it does; seriously, a
little confidence goes a long way.
So, how about it, Reader Friends; if you don’t already mix
patterns, does this help you get started?
Happy Friday, Everyone!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Gracey


