Monday, February 27, 2012

WeeCap: Mad Men

My friend Alex and I are huge Mad Men fans; as much for clothes as for the wonderful acting, writing and that sexy misogynist, Don Draper.  So, when we heard that the theme for this year’s annual Salem Art Association Clay Ball was Mad Men, we knew we had to go.  And we knew we had to go all out.

Unfortunately, I didn’t have anything appropriately 60s in my closet, so I had to go shopping.  Luckily I was able to find this dress at an antique mall in Albany:


I realize in looking at these pictures that it’s a little too big for me, which I didn’t notice before because too big vintage is not often an issue I run into.  I’ll probably have to take it in before I wear it again.

Fit aside, I knew I had to get this dress as soon as I saw the fabulous sleeves – I love that they’re unattached and sequined.  Not that the sequins were enough; oh, no, I had to add some rhinestones too:


I embellished my hair with two clip-on rhinestone earrings, wore the rhinestone earrings and a bracelet and added a rhinestone pin to my clutch.

Unlike me, Alex had the foresight to buy a gorgeous 60s gown a couple years ago:



Isn’t it amazing? She also accessorized with rhinestones and added long white gloves and major lashes.


And then we were off to the party.  And, you guys?  It was so much fun.  The first couple of hours were the silent auction, drinks and hors d’oeuvres.  And a photo booth:

Erich McVey Photography was there with a very cool wall of old advertisements from the late 50s and early 60s.  If you want to see more pictures from the event, go to http://www.hautebooth.com/ and you can see a bunch of the other party goers.

After the silent auction we had dinner and the live auction – it was the first I’d ever attended, and it was fabulous.  Really, the whole night was fabulous.  Except that my feet hurt the next day.

It doesn’t help that I was out dancing Friday night too but by Sunday, the dogs were barking.  Luckily, I had some of these to wear around the next day:


They’re Kushyfoot Flats-to-Go and they’re wonderful.  They fit easily into my purse and they really are cushy.  When I received them from the fine folks at Kushyfoot, I was a little worried because the size is 9/10 and in my experience, things that have two size on them never fit the larger size listed.  But, I was wrong; these wonderfully comfortable flats really do fit my monstrous size 10 feet easily.

My pair is black embossed crocodile, but these fabulous flats also come in bronze alligator, zebra, polka dot, snake, perforated cream, black patent and silver.  And they're only $9.99 per pair in drug stores everywhere.  Or, of course, you can get some at kushyfoot.com.

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend as well!

Gracey

20 comments:

  1. Absolutely unbelievably fabulous! Both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing dress. I love the subtle black on black pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gracey you look spectacular! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! That dress is amaaaaaazing, Gracey. I desperately want to find vintage clothes that fit me, but it has yet to happen. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Gracey you look gorgeous! That dress is such a find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that sounds like such a fun event!
    You looked gorgeous, and i love the sequin detailing on the dress!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  7. you ladies look adorable! i love the little sequins on your dress, Gracey! those shoes are fab too. i've been noticing the new travel shoes that you can put in your purse and wear for walking. pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great event! It must have been super fun! You both looked brilliant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Gracey - sooooo fun!!! I love both of your outfits so much! The sleeves on that dress would've sold me too :) And your friend with the long gloves - oh so glamorous!!!
    Did you know I went to a MadMen event this past Fall? Check out my pictures here if you like!
    http://somethingoldmeetssomethingnew.blogspot.com/2011/07/mad-about-madmen-part-1-outfits.html

    http://somethingoldmeetssomethingnew.blogspot.com/2011/07/mad-about-madmen-part-2-all-around.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Weeee! You both looked RAVISHING!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look gorgeous! I love the sequins!

    I also wanted to tell you that my hot pink Gap blazer is a recent purchase. I bought it a couple weeks ago. It's knit, too, so it's suuuuuper comfy. It was sold out online, but they did have a few in the store.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you both look great! That pink dress is perfect, though sooo dressy! just as well she found a perfect occassion for it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like an incredible event to go do. And how awful that you had to go shopping. (: You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You both look great! Sounds like a fun event! Those sleeves are pretty neat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look absolutely fabulous! What a find.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both of you look soooo fantastic!
    I LOVE the sleeves on both dresses so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love 60's-themed parties! Your dress is amazing. I haven't been able to get into Mad Men - I watched two seasons, but I never felt really attached to the characters. I did, however, swoon over all the clothes :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. lovely dress and what a great last minute find. How about a colored thin belt to work the dress until you have taken in the seams a bit!? Might give it a more fitted look :) I would go for red.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So gorgeous, both of you! Probably the dress could be taken in a bit, but honestly, you just look smashing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! Love, love, love this dress. What a great find, Gracey.

    You both look fabulous and it sounds like such a fun night!

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).