Monday, March 26, 2012

Animal and Floral

After a long weekend spent thrifting (of course), sleeping (my favorite) and watching movies (Never Let Me Go (depressing, just like the book) and Hunger Games (more below)), I had to come back to work today.  I wore these clothes:



I don’t know why, but in my mind there are few things that go better together than animal print and floral.  Maybe because the combination is a bit jungle-y and jungle-y is totally a thing?  I don’t know, but I do love to pair the two.  Today’s pairing is a floral silk blouse (vintage, thrifted) layered under an animal print cardigan (Target).  I belted it with my owl belt (Ross) and added a black skirt (Calvin Klein via Ideeli), patterned tights (Assets via Target) and black booties (BC Footwear “Swear”).

Happily, I think I may be able to go without tights fairly soon.  Friday and Saturday were both gorgeous, yesterday was a bit chilly and rainy, but today isn’t too bad.  It’s not that I don’t love tights; I do, that’s why I have so many pairs.  But, I’m definitely ready to be done with them.

Now, back to The Hunger Games; I thought it was great, not because it followed the book exceptionally closely, but because the filmmakers were so smart in the imagery they used, especially when showing the outlying districts.  District 12 was practically Depression-era America, right down to the clothes.  And I found the Reaping registration to be evocative of the registration of several groups from Communist China to Nazi Germany to WWII-era America.  I felt that these images, along with the colorless clothes of the outlying districts compared to the colorful and over-the-top outfits of the Capitol served the filmmakers very well in making their point.

Did anyone else watch the movie this weekend?  If so, what did you think?

Happy Monday, All!

Gracey

21 comments:

  1. Yes - on the florals/ animal prints - I think it's unexpected, but looks great!
    Also Yes - on the Hunger Games, I want more just like how I felt when I read the books. I also noticed first the difference in colors between the districts and capitol and thought they did a great job with that. I had some throwback thoughts to Oz.

    And I really want to watch Never Let Me Go, because I loved the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NEVER LET ME GO! Man, I loved that book. That was part of my inspiration the novella I recently released. Such a touching/disturbing/ARGH story.

    I did see the movie, and I thought they did an excellent job! They still remained pretty true to the book, which was nice to see. Their attention to detail and imagery made it for me. Well, not to mention Lawrence's acting. I wasn't 100% percent sold on her as Katniss before seeing the film, but I am now. That girl has mad acting skillz.

    As for the outfit: I personally think it'd be just fine without the long-sleeved floral underneath! Then again, I'm pretty tame with my style (aka boring, I suppose!)

    www.thatzannigirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are a brave woman to mix prints like that!!! I still need to build up courage to wear two different prints together. Heck, I need to build up the courage to wear print, period!

    I watched The Hunger Games over the weekend, too, and liked it better than I thought I would.
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights
    the shop of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like florals and animal print together, too. I like that you grounded it with the black skirt and tights. (I'm SO ready for tight-freeness as well)

    Jenn
    The Suburb Experiment

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bold pairing. I don't have that much courage.

    Thanks for the movie-review. I haven't seen it yet but plan to once the crowds settle down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I can think of is: I HAVE THAT BELT, TOO!!!!!
    Don't you just think it's the cutest belt ever?!

    In response to the Hunger Games...I haven't seen the movie, but I just finished the novel about two hours ago. It was okay. I mainly read it b/c I teach Reading/Lang Arts to the target audience for this novel. I'm interested to see how the movie fares...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sleeve thing that's going on here. Sleeve thing! I want you to happen to me! I will stay up too late tonight trying to make this happen to me.

    I saw The Hunger Games with a couple of VERY EXCITED friends--largely, I liked the sets and the extras better than the central stuff. Not a bad adaptation, but it didn't blow me away. Rue, however, was a sweet and perfect little fairy child who needs to be in more things because she has my heart! I might actually consent to having a child if I could be promised that it would be she. (Okay, maybe not. But seriously, SUCH A LITTLE PIXIE GIRL OH MY GOODNESS.)

    (I am probably never going to watch the movie adaptation of Never Let Me Go because a) I Do Not Like Kiera Knightley and b) I already had my world shattered by the book, I don't think I can handle letting a movie do that to me too.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your layering here! The mixture of prints is fantastic!!

    Natasha ~ TashaDelrae.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hunger Games FTW. That movie was utter fantasticness. Effie, Haymitch, Rue, seriously, everyone killed me with spot-on portrayals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Floral plus leopard is positively inspired! How did you not link this up for Visible Monday?

    ReplyDelete
  11. great mixing and matching!! i love it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. love love love this look! i may need to copy you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw the Hunger Games this weekend, and I really enjoyed it. I hadn't read the book, so I can't say anything about how well it translated, but I WAS inspired to buy the book. The story really is intriguing. I'll agree that the imagery was quite striking- the contrasts really did drive the point home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that floral number! I've been scouring the thrift stores looking for similar ones!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here's how out of it I am: I had to Wiki Hunger Games a few weeks ago, because I had no clue. I totally fail at popular culture most of the time.

    Floral and animal are, of course, an entirely logical pattern mix.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a fun pattern mix! I have a short-sleeve animal print cardigan too ... you've inspired me to try layering something long-sleeved and patterned under it.
    I rarely see movies in theater, but having read The Hunger Games, I might go catch it in a week or two once the crowds have gone away ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am totally out of the loop with hunger games and everything else...ooops. I am in love with your pattern mixing and the fact that the floral is vintage, makes it even better. Gracey you are the most consistent blogger hence your growth and dedicated readers. Dawn Suitcase Vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never Let Me Go broke my heart. I haven't read the book, but I have it on my wish list in both audio and reading form. Don't know which I will end up reading/hearing. Haven't seen Hunger Games movie yet. Must get babysitter STAT.

    www.stylinggame.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).