Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Boots and Belts, Stripes and Giraffes


I like this sleeveless wool dress, but I never wear it because I’m not exactly sure how to.  Luckily for me, Lindsey over at Thrift and Shout did an entire post on how to wear sleeveless items like this dress.  That post helped inspire this outfit:



In addition to the sleeveless dress, this outfit contains quite a few of my favorite things; such as boots and belts, stripes and giraffes.  I layered the dress (vintage, thrifted) over a striped, long-sleeve tee (Gap) and leggings (Ross).  I added a studded belt (Michael Michael Kors via Nordstrom), riding boots (Born Crown “Sosie” via Nordstrom) and a hot pink giraffe scarf (Target).

And I do like this outfit.  I think I generally tend towards more classic pieces because they are easier to style than pieces like this.  I am, however, drawn to pieces like this, and animal print booties and fur vests, I just need to get more comfortable in styling them.

How about you, Dear Reader Friends?  Do you venture outside of your comfort zone when buying items, or do you stick with what you know you can style comfortably?

Happy Tuesday, All!

Gracey

15 comments:

  1. This look is so cute. I love the boots and the pop of pink with the scarf. I tend to buy some pretty wacky things at the thrift store. Like you though, I have a problem putting them into action. I need to be better about wearing the things I buy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never think to style a sleevless dress like this but it's so stylish- all the elements really come together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gracey the way you combined it all with that belt & those boots. so lovely! i try to venture. i don't know if i succeed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. for not knowing how to style something, you sure look amazing! i love how you've done it, and that scarf is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely venture outside my comfort zone and sometimes it works out for the best while other times those pieces end up right back at the thrift store, haha. I still am perplexed with sleeveless things sometimes, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. me too! I'm a huge fan of Virginia Johnson but at Target prices! ;)

      Delete
  7. Wow, this dress is really a statement piece...the structure and details on it are really classic and elegant. Looks absolutely amazing on you too! Love the striped sleeves peeking out...and of course your giraffes :)

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love every part of this outfit! and that giraffe scarf is super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am kind of known for buying semi or entirely ridiculous items and figuring out how to work them into my wardrobe. I have always felt like looking good is mostly based on how you feel in something. If you feel great in it, you can mind meld folks into thinking you look great. Now that I have this blog with all the crazy themes, I find myself thinking, "this is going to work well for a challenge sometime". I love this look on you! And that scarf is so cute. A unique print is one of my favorite things!

    www.stylinggame.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! On the very same day, I, too, styled a sleeveless dress with a striped shirt. Looking at your awesome outfit, I think I should've worn a scarf, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that scarf! I may have to un over to Target!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the layering you've done here. You look absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for your kind words on my post about Bob. It is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! Thanks for the shout out!

    Lindsey Turner
    http://thriftandshout.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That giraffe scarf is the perfect addition to any outfit.

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).