Tuesday, March 13, 2012

One of These Things is not like the Others

Warning: This is a wordy post, but if you stick with me, I promise a Star Wars reference…  You in?  Fabulous.  Let the words commence.

So, I am usually pretty comfortable with my body.  I know I’ve anthropomorphized my thighs into militant rebels, but, in truth, they’re pretty great.  And I do have a bit of a tummy, but, like Bruce Willis’ girlfriend in Pulp Fiction, I think a bit of a potbelly is kind of sexy.  I used to be, as a boy in third grade said to me, “like Main Street, no curves” but now I’m more like Mulholand and outside the occasional freak out, like when my HMO says I’m fat, I’m comfortable being curvier.  Usually.

There are times, however, when I’m not as comfortable.  Last Saturday night was one of those times.  I’m not proud of it, but it is sometimes hard for me to maintain my confidence in my shape when I know I’m going to be around women of a completely different shape.  On Saturday night, we went to a party, but before that we had a “girl’s night” at a bar with a bunch of my friend Jenny’s friends.  Jenny is my height, but a few sizes smaller than I am.  And all of her friends are about a foot shorter and really quite petite.

Knowing I was going to be the only person built like I am, I felt like I could do one of two things; I could try to fit in by wearing what I knew everyone else would be wearing, or I could be myself.  There is definitely, I think, some appeal to wearing something similar to the people you’re with; it can help you feel like you’re part of the group.  But, for me, that never quite works.  I always feel like an impostor.

So, instead of trying to fit in, I chose to exaggerate my differentness.  They say to play to your strengths and to highlight your favorite part of your body, right?  Well, my favorite thing about my body is its size.  I love the fact that I’m tall and broad-shouldered and highly visible.  I know that my size draws attention to me and I figured if I'm going to be seen, I'm going to be seen:


To that end, I went for champagne and cream when I knew most everybody else would be in black.  I went for a longer skirt when I knew most everyone else would be in hoo-ha grazing hemlines.  And I went for a higher neck when I knew most everyone else would have cleavage.  I wore a vintage, champagne-colored dress paired with a cream, vintage fur vest (thrifted).  I added my animal print booties (80%20), a studded belt (Michael Michael Kors via Nordstrom) and ton of jewelry:



The earrings are vintage (Lil’ Gypsy Boutique) and the necklace is new (ModCloth).  The bangles and bracelets are a mix of vintage and new.


I also added a vintage (thrifted) gold clutch:



And I loved it.  I loved the fact that it wasn’t like anything anyone else was wearing and that even though it had next to no color, it was still me. Well, it was a little bit me, and a little bit Princess Leia, apparently.  True story, a guy at the party said I looked like Princess Leia.  I responded that I felt like Princess Leia, on Planet Hoth.  He said I was hot.  I laughed.  

Gracey

36 comments:

  1. And this is why you are totally awesome, in one little storynugget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say you are awesome too! You are! And you look beautiful! "Hoo-ha grazing" LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Princess Leia's got nothing on you! Great post - way to rock the opposite, predictable outfits of everyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gracey you look beautiful through & through. most importantly you honored yourself by being true to you. i think that might be a beauty secret we should share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Gracey! He said you are hot because you ARE hot! (much as I hate that word!) I think we ALL lose bits of confident, more at some times than others. I WANT to feel good about my figure and I really wish it wasn't even an issue at all. Bodies are bodies....PERIOD. You look so fabulous and what I love is that here you are a young single woman and you're not afraid to NOT play to cheap sexy. You are divinely sexy in what you're wearing because it's gorgeous, you carry it so well, and you're confident enough to be yourself! Raising my glass to you girly!! Hugs! ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to be awesome! I like that you went for a fun, unique look (which is amazing, by the way) instead of just trying to blend in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this look -- it's very glamorous!

    BTW, I write about fashion blogger style for the Huffington Post. My next story is about pastels and neons. If you have any outfit photos showing either of those, let me know! More info is here: http://wendybrandes.com/blog/2012/03/sheer-madness-plus-casting-call-for-neon-and-pastel/

    ReplyDelete
  8. **MOUTH IS LITERALLY HUNG OPEN** Gracey you look FREAKIN AHHHH...maaaaaa...ZZZING!! Really, seriously, no, FO REAL THO!! lol By far my fave look from you! LOVE! Kiah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gracey--you did good! If this is your idea of charm...you've nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite looks on you - and far more interesting, pretty, and well, just HOT than a sea of LBDs. :)

    Jenn
    The Suburb Experiment

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the princess Leia story! You definitely look a bit like her in this outfit, but in a good way! Being different is good, definitely and I really like that you didn't try to fit in, but just looked like you! Loving the shoes, the clutch and that skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, you ARE hot!
    I love this, and I admire your confidence for not trying to fit in.

    I know how you feel... I'm often the only tall & plus-sized girl in a sea of petite ones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so beautiful, Gracey. Six feet is barely enough to contain your fabulousness.

    I could relate very strongly to this story, as you might guess. I am that tall, broad-shouldered woman, too, and agree that playing it up is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rock ON, Gracey. You're a great role model for us all! Be seen, be proud of your body. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like this post so much!!! These photos are amazing!!!
    Take a look and if you want we can follow each others: Cosa mi metto???
    Enter the Romwe giveaway on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loooooove that vest. I would kill bunnies to make myself a vest like that. Then I would sob for the bunnies, while petting my beautiful new vest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everything looks so great!!! You put every thing together so nicely!!

    ~Anya
    luckysparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you didn't look like the others, it's because you look like a model! You stand tall and beautiful, and it's a wonderful thing to see.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome! I love this outfit of yours! I would definitely have gravitated towards you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. First of all you're too funny and second you look amazing. Who cares what other girls look like. Do what makes you feel good.

    http://www.lyzhang.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gracey...you look gorgeous...you should never doubt your beauty!!! I'm so glad you decided to spite those negative thoughts and dress yourself, you look amazing. I'm always so inspired by your styling, but it's the spirit and personality of your posts that keeps me coming back :) I'm glad you're you. AND that you always looks amazing.

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an inspiring post! I have a habit of dressing a little too "calmly" when I know I'm going out with people I don't know. Jeans and v-necks come out of hiding and I end up looking pretty boring. I'll make sure to keep this in mind next time I'm getting dressed for a party - and be crazy in a great way!!! :]]] Keep it up girl!


    -Z
    zplustheworld.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I should SO be doing homework, but I wanted to deliver you a blog hug and tell you to work it. (: I love the monotone thing you're rocking and power to you for embracing yourself. I need to do better at that sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Holy shit! This outfit is amazing, Gracey. Way to let yourself shine :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are glowing and gorgeous in champagne and cream! I really like that you made the choice to stand out and enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Stunning. Creative. Powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic. So well done, so well told.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can't tell you how much I love this post, you are absolutely amazing and I'm going to be quoting you every time I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wowsa yowsa! Love, love, love this post and that outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You always inspire me. You are so beautiful, but in this outfit, DROP DEAD GORGEOUS! I am standing a little taller now, thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awesome attitude and outfit. It's so funny to me because I'm 5'4" but all the other girls on my mom's side of the family are really tall. Some of them have broad shouldered powerful builds and some are willowy, but they are all tall. Sometimes I'm tempted to feel like a chunky shrimp among these tall women. Normally I don't even feel short since 5'4" in kinda average. I even enjoy being short because my compact body fits into spaces taller folks can't squeeze into. However, around them I can feel stumpy if I let myself. So I found it funny to hear you experiencing the opposite concerns I have. Glad you are embracing your build and even playing it up.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Um, FOLLOWING! Why have I not found your blog until now?! I love your outlook on life!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just popped over from Already Pretty, Love this post!!!! Love your attitude, and totally empathize, I'm a curvy 5'10! And I like it! it doesn't mean I don't sometimes battle with the " I'm the only girl in the back row of the school photo" syndrome, but at 34 I've come to accept and love my height/ size! ( I would want to, as school was a looong time ago, ahem) Anyway, totally agree with the comment above....

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love your story. Love your outfit choice. You look like a beautiful angel with a bit of sass :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Awesome post! I admire you a lot for sticking to who you are and in that situation it took guts, good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).