Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Knit Pencil

I thrifted this vintage, knit pencil skirt while I was in Santa Fe a few months ago:



I haven’t worn it before now for a couple of reasons.  One, it’s more body-con than I usually wear.  And two, pencil skirts are ridiculous for riding a bike in.  I decided to give it a shot today though, pairing the skirt with a brightly colored tank (via Ross).  I added leopard print mini-wedges (via Ross), a black vest-like cardigan (I think Allison calls them vestigans) (Halogen via Nordstrom Rack), and some bracelets (thrifted).  I went with the lower shoes because a fitted skirt and high heels would have been too far outside my comfort zone for work.

I actually rather liked this outfit, with the exception of the vestigan.  I only wore it because this top has thin, strappy straps and, again, I wouldn’t feel comfortable wearing a body-con skirt and visible bra straps to work.  The skirt is great though.  Although it’s fitted, it’s made of a nice, thick knit so I don’t feel like everyone is ogling my booty.  And, as I had hoped, it’s a heck of a lot easier to ride a bike in a knit pencil skirt than a woven one.

Today’s Takeaway?  If you insist on riding your bike in pencil skirts (which is completely understandable) try a knit one; it’s much easier and there is less flashing of the poor passersby.

Happy Tuesday, All!

Gracey

21 comments:

  1. Hee hee. Vestigan. Actually I love the whole outfit vestigan and all. The top is great, and you're right, visible bra strap at work must be avoided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, very nice outfit! The skirt is quite flattering and the whole looks classic and elegant even though the top print is so lively!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That skirt is a fantastic find! It looks perfect on you!

    GTBB,
    http://badjoan.com
    http://badjoan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you look great! This skirt and top looks like a really sophisticated dress. :)

    Glad to see you smile and blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm jealous of people like you who look hot in pencil skirts. They just don't seem to work for me--I'm too hippy. Darn that bike, you should be wearing pencil skirts all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Gracey! Gorgeous on you! This skirt is perfection...body conscious without looking 80's MTV groupie. Don't you just love Santa Fe?!?! Hugs girly! ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the outfit looks perfect on you Gracey! The fitted skirt really elongates your legs, and I love that you can ride a bike in it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I'm glad you decided to try it! The whole look is great on you. It seems like I'm hearing about pencil skirts right and left these days, and they always seem to work! Maybe it's time to stop avoiding them.

    Plus, the all-black around the bright patterned top is a great way of showcasing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowza! You look fab in that skirt. I'm getting a bit of a Joan from Mad Men yet in the 21 century vibe. I don't think its too much at all, as you have a killer figure! Love the subtle mix of prints. I'm still too chicken to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the vestigan works - it creates a beautiful line paired with the pencil skirt (and the blacks match, which is so hard to achieve).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the whole outfit, but a big old WOW to the skirt. That's a seriously flattering shape on you, and you look amazing. The black skirt and vestigan really make a great foil for that gorgeous top, which reminds me a bit of stained glass.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The skirt looks wonderful on you. It seems like it could be the perfect, versatile AND comfortable pencil skirt!

    Also, gotta love "vestigan".

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the vestigan! But mostly because it's called a "vestigan." :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this outfit! You look great. Vestigans are tricky to style, imo, but you are rocking this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The skirt is a great fit...maybe for biking purposes, pull it out of your bag after you arrive and slip it on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a super skirt. I'm glad you gave it a chance. It looks fab on you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I see nothing that you should be worried about...you look amazing in this skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that pencil skirt and the tank. I think the vestigan is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to agree with everyone else. This is a fantastic combination and you look great! You may not have liked the 'vestigan' but it looks great in the pics in the way you combined it to come up with a great look. This is a keeper. By the way, I want to steal the tank from you! It is a great accent piece. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).