Thursday, July 14, 2011

Leopard Dress, Owl Belt

The bad news is that my dress is too small:


The good news is that I layered the too small dress over one that fits me so as not to look like a leopard-spotted-sausage (because no one wants to see that).  I love this leopard dress – it’s vintage, it’s silk and it has pockets (pockets!), but it doesn’t fit.  Specifically, my thighs fight it like it’s an invading army and my chest appears to be determined to say a very personal ‘hello’ to anyone and everyone.  I was going to get rid of the dress but then I had the idea to try it layered over another dress; and I think it worked.



The bottom layer is a simple black tank dress (thrifted) and the top layer is the silk leopard dress (thrifted) which I buttoned at the waist (the one place it fits) and belted with my owl belt (Ross).  I added some wedges (G by Guess via Piperlime) and a bangle and called it a day.

Would you all like another piece of possibly dubious advice?  Of course you would.  Before getting rid of something, try repurposing it first.  While it’s doubtful that I’ll ever fit into the leopard dress on its own again, by layering it over other pieces, I can continue to get some use out of it.

Happy Thursday, Everyone!

Gracey

21 comments:

  1. THIS IS GENIUS! I have a couple of dresses that will help me stretch their life! And the outfit looks so put together and chic.... I am so impressed and you look adorbs! Cheers! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. the owl belt is so cute! i love the layering gracey!

    <3 steffy
    Steffys Pros and Cons

    ReplyDelete
  3. I applaud your most excellent layering and re-purposing! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well girly! This is just genius! It would also look fabulous as a bit of a duster over skinny jeans or slacks! I love hat! Especially if you love something!!! It's definitely a keeper! ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your dress! I thought it was a duster until I read this. Loving anything animal print and what a cute belt! I wore an animal print coat dress with pants and I liked how it turned out. This could be wore with pants too so its a versatile piece! Kiah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for animal belts! They are wonderful. I am going to take this advice as permission to eat all the chips and queso I want because now I can just use a too-small dress as a top layer. Great idea, AND you look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever idea! Your outfit is even more interesting with the added layers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a couple of dresses and several cardigans I do that with as well. I find it works really well for cardigans because as soon as a piece is big enough to actually button across my chest, it gets too big proportionally for layering over other pieces. So I have many colors in two sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it works beautifully. I would have never thought that the leopard dress is too small; the first thought in my head was "wow, smart and interesting layering!". I am all for repurposing clothes that don't fit - I've even used too-big shirts as skirts. :)

    I love your wedges, they are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look really amazing. This totally works, and is seriously clever. One of my favourite outfits I've seen on you, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! Anything leopard is always hot and a win!

    All the best, Angel

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! What a great idea! You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is such a good idea :)
    aww the cute little owl is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gracey! What an amazing idea! I love, love, love that! (and there I go using those exclamation points again! :-) Anyway -- I would have never guessed that that was a too small dress. And I also thought it was hysterical what you said about your chest! ! I had similar thoughts with my blue and white striped shirt that I wore the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an awesome way of making a garment work for you! I'm jazzed that you figured it out, the results are super classy.

    Also that owl belt is frickin' adorable. I might have to sneak into your house and steal it sometime. You know, as one does.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you layered the dresses....it makes for such a unique look and I can see why you would not want to get rid of the leopard dress, its fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was really smart to repurpose the dress. It's cute so you don't want to toss it. Nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's definitely an elegant dress and the way you wear it over the black dress is genious.I have yet to try the look but I've got 2 dresses that could do the trick!

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).