Monday, November 28, 2011

Reader Question – For the Love of Leggings

Lovely reader Karina emailed me the other day regarding ideas for flattering ways to wear leggings for those of us with a little bit bigger tummy area.  Specifically she asked about what type of tops to wear with leggings so that “a little bit bigger tummy area” doesn’t get misinterpreted to “bun in the oven.”

As it turns out, I LOVE leggings and since I’m still out of the office and so don’t have an OOTD photo, I figure this is a great time to talk about how this giant wears leggings.

Layers, Layers, Layers

In my mind, leggings lend themselves to layering like nobody’s business.  And layering can be a great way to disguise a midsection without looking too bulky.  (A long scarf can help do that as well).

Leggings + Tunic + Sweater + Scarf:



 Long-Sleeve Tee + Dress +  Poncho Sweater + Leggings:


Leggings + Tunic + Button Down + Scarf:


Put a Belt on It

Depending on where you belt and the width of your belt, belting can be a great way to highlight or even create a waist.

Leggings + Tunic + Skinny Belt + Cardigan:



Leggings + Tunic + Medium Belt + Cardigan + Scarf:



Boots, Boots, Boots

I always wear my leggings with boots.  Even booties can help balance out a thicker upper body.

Leggings + Skirt + Long-Sleeve Sweater + Scarf + Mid-Calf Boots:



Blouse + Dress + Leggings + Scarf + Suede Booties:



Tunic + Cardigan + Scarf + Leggings + Riding Boots:


What about you, Reader Friends?  Are you a fan of leggings?  And what is your favorite way to wear them?

Gracey

18 comments:

  1. This is just a whole montage of Grace-y cuteness! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't wear leggings because I have skinny legs and a not-so-skinny midsection but I'm loving this post! I agree with CP up there. :)

    I'm totally with you on the balancing slimmer pants with a heavier shoe, and anything that draws attention up to the face instead of the middle.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been so hesitant to wear leggings because my thighs are just disproportionately large and I've always felt so "indecent"...but you look GREAT and totally covered!!! I love the way you've styled them and I want to try wearing them soon...

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol As I was scrolling down the page and the pictures were popping up, I kept thinking, "Oh THIS is my favorite", but then the next picture would come up and I'd say the same thing. I don't think theres one thing on this page that I wouldn't wear in a skinny minute! LOVE it! ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips. Thanks. I love leggings but need to hide some tummy, so these ideas help a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, I feel badly for the non-giants out there. Leggings are so fabulous for showing off our long legs. They look great on people of all heights, but I especially adore them on us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the first outfit! you wear leggings so well!

    <3 steffy
    Steffys Pros and Cons

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of these are great, but I just adore the ouftit with the floral tunic and the grey cardigan, it's so chic!
    This is fantastic leggings inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post with a lot of nice ideas! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gracey this is a great post. You really know how to dress for your height, body type and your overall appearance is just lovely. Dawn suitcase vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Living at the beach, I see a lot of girls wear leggings as pants and that just looks tacky to me, but I love all of your layering tips - I think that really is the key! AND the belting - I think it's important to belt a little bit (inch or 2) above what you think is your waist, so that it's really at the very thinnest part of you!
    Anyway, Gracey, I just want you to know how AWESOME I think you are :) You dress so freaking well and all your tips are so on-point and concise. Your blog is always such a joy to read! Hope you're enjoying your break!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. yes to layering! love all your layered legging looks here :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gracey, you are the legging MASTER! HAHAHAHA These are wonderful options. I love them all! Work it girl. :D
    http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, thank you, Gracey!! For answering my question, and for helping me expand my wardrobe options!I think I am ready to take the plunge and try the leggings and layers thing! You rock! Now I need to find some fabulous boots like you have...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute! Your outfits with belts are my ultra-favorites. I'll have to try leggings this year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I'm one of Sal's readers (Already Pretty). Every single outfit you have here looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like leggings, but I've only put together a couple of outfits with them. I might look for a blue tunic because yours look fun with boots and leggings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the outfit with the grey leggings and dress - where did you get the leggings from? Have a hard time finding ones that aren't see through!

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).