Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Colorful Collegiate

A co-worker commented that my outfit today is very “collegiate,” and I guess it is:



It does have a sort of prepster, collegiate look about it, which isn’t my usual style, but I like it.  I think the unusual color combination keeps it from being run-of-the-mill collegiate and feels more like me.  Full disclosure; as much as this color combination feels like “me,” I actually borrowed the idea from this outfit of Kendi’s.  But, as soon as I saw her post, I knew I wanted to pair my bright yellow sweater (Nordstrom, thrifted) and mauve skirt (vintage, thrifted).  I added navy tights (Target), colorful socks, lace-up booties (Nine West via TJ Maxx) and a multi-colored scarf.

Interestingly enough, I don’t usually consider yellow to be a fall color.  I know it was shown in quite a few fall collections:

Left to Right: Thakoon, Max Mara, Jill Sander & Karen Walker

But it was not anything I thought I’d try.  Now that I have tried it though, it makes sense to me.  I think this sweater will be a nice counterpoint to our increasingly rainy weather here in Oregon.

How about you, Dear Readers?  How do you feel about lemon yellow for fall?  Is it something you’d try?

Happy Wednesday, All!

Gracey

15 comments:

  1. LOVE lemon yellow, but I rarely wear it (feel like a beacon). I'm glad it's everywhere now, so I won't feel so self-conscious.

    I love how you paired it with the peachy pink camel palette. Unexpected and wonderful, and a nice "dimmer."

    ReplyDelete
  2. the shoes layered with the socks is adorbs! i just got a pair that look just like those!

    <3 steffy
    http://steffysprosandcons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this color mixing and you know I adore those lace-up booties. You look so fresh and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks really nice! I like the colors. You do yellow well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a good pairing here. Mauve! I just love saying it. "Mauve."

    I love bright yellow and will gladly wear it any time! At least, I've got an outfit planned involving my bright yellow skirt for sometime soon, and I plan to rock it with enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look adorable as always! Those boots are INSANELY cute, and I am super jealous. I adore yellow! I'm so glad fall clothing is so colorful this year!

    xoxo
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the color of that sweater. These colors together are great and you look cute in them!
    Those booties are awesome too!

    http://theclosetintervention.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. so so so cute! that yellow is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute!! Cool idea with socks on tights, I'll have to give that a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Though I'm at the opposite end from a "giant" (I'm only 5'2), I love seeing how those of you that are tall work it! You have a great blog and I'm now following. :)
    xo,
    Sarah
    http://comingunstitched.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I just found some amazing yellow shoes that I want to try to wear... haha. I don't really have a good handle on which colors belong to which seasons. I love to wear colors whenever I can. Now I feel like I need to go find myself a sweater like yours, but I suspect it would make me look sickly, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the way you put the two colors together with the scarf. I also love everything about that skirt. I have never worn lemon yellow, but I don't really like the whole idea of certain colors certain times of year. Maybe it's because it doesn't get cold in New Orleans for long, but I just try to wear what I can when it's weather appropriate. I also haven't worn that shade of yellow; it's pretty bright so I don't know if I could pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that sweater! I recently decided that I simply must have a yellow sweater and have been stalking my favorite stores in the hopes of finding one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think this is too "collegiate." I can see how it's inspired by it, maybe a little vintage collegiate, but definitely unique, modern and fresh! I love the yellow and purple together.
    -Meagan
    www.spunkychateau.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. IF collegiate means FIERCE then I must agree. I love this outfit to pieces. LOVE LOVE LOVE

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).