Thursday, November 10, 2011

Gracey and the Chrysanthemum Coat Dress

I don’t know if you guys noticed this or not, but a lot of thrift stores combine their vintage clothes with their Halloween costumes during October.  Keeping that in mind, and keeping in mind that “Halloween” items are now 50% off at Goodwill, I thrifted this chrysanthemum coat dress for a mere $6.50 last weekend:



Now you may be thinking, “Gracey, what’s that peeking out below the hem of your awesome chrysanthemum coat dress?”  Well, lemme show you:

Well, hello there, Pleated Skirt.

Yep, I layered the coat dress over a cream pleated skirt (vintage, thrifted) so the skirt would flash when I walked.  I also wore a black turtleneck (Gap), black tights (Spanx “High Waist Tight End Tights” via Nordstrom) and black booties (Nine West “Peekaboo” via Piperlime).  And I then I belted the whole shebang with a patent leather belt (Nine West via Ross). 

I’m hesitant to say this coat dress is my favorite thrifted item ever, but it’s definitely in my top 10.  I love the fabric and I love that it’s handmade, which I know because the tag says is that it was “Especially handmade by Anne.”  So, thank you, Anne, wherever you may be, for making this awesome coat dress and for donating it for me to find.  You’re the best.

Also the best?  Meagan of Spunky Chateau for hosting the Thursday’s are for Thrifters link party.  Thanks, Meagan!

I have tomorrow off for Veterans Day, so I won’t be posting again until Monday.  I hope everyone has a lovely (and hopefully long) weekend.

Happy Thursday, All!

Gracey

24 comments:

  1. That coat dress is amazing! Great find! Have a wonderful long weekend, Gracey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracey! This outfit is so full of fabulousness I can hardly STAND it! I love it!!! I'd wear that in a skinny minute! ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super fabulous find and for such an awesome price. When I have discretionary income/when Mia is in town, I hope to have half your luck on the fabulous finds department. :D

    That pleated skirt is way too dreamy, btws.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This outfit is gorgeous. I absolutely love how you layered the dress over the skirt. And the turtleneck was a great choice as well. Just brilliant all around.

    My range of musical taste is quite varied, no? haha. I laughed when you pointed that out.

    xo,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you layered it. That pleated skirt and booties are awesome. Have a great weekend and enjoy Gracey! :D
    http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh I never even thought to look in the Halloween section for vintage pieces but I'm telling you if I could find something as nice as your coat dress I would be one happy gal! I love the pleated skirt underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's a beautiful coat dress Gracey, you got good taste. The floral print is gorgeous and you have the height to carry such large prints. The pleated skirt under is so cute. This is an unconventional fall outfit and I have to say you rock it!

    mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gracey, i LOVE this dress on you. it's fantastic. loving the print and colors. love that you wore a cute pleated skirt under it. you're so creative!!!

    spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gracey, I have done this too. I shop it all, even the kids section because people hide/relocate items a lot in thrift stores. Great find and love the skirt too. Dawn Suitcase Vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice work!!! This coat is absolutely stellar, real outfit-maker. I love looking through random sections of the thrift store, just in case I find something in hiding :)

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the pleated skirt peeking out. Nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a great find, really beautiful!
    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Uhh, okay, that's only one of my new favorite things. I think I'm going to take a quick (oh, I crack myself up, "quick") thrift jaunt tonight, and I'm going to try and channel your and Sal's thrifting luck, for serious. Finding handmade items is such fun! I wonder what Anne is like, besides having wicked good sewing skills and great taste in flowers...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That dress is unspeakably awesome. This is why I love thrifting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahaha, your picture is tooooo cute! And you're doing that skirt-under-dress thing again? I absolutely LOVE it every time - I've gotta try it! Also love your dress, I love when thrifted finds say cute things (we have a purse at the shop that says handmade with love by Mom - can you believe someone donated it?)
    Also: I'm hosting my 1st giveaway, it's affordable fashion with a cause - check it out! And if you get a chance, new Best Form of Flattery tomorrow - would love to have you link-up :) Happy weekend off!

    ReplyDelete
  16. great find..I love thrifting too!! always good stuff to be found, especially the hand made items!! This style of dress is really flattering on you and I love how you paired it with the little booties.. great combo!! xoxo J

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL!!!!!! Gracey this post is super cute! I love the "peeking" pleats!! Your dress/coat is amazing! What a fabulous find! Love the entire look! Kiah

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the idea of doing a great peek-a-boo skirt. You look lovely! I love thrifting - I do a lot of it. I am a tall girl too at 5'10"!

    I am now following your blog. I would love if you could check out mine and follow back if you like :)

    http://theclosetintervention.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a find! You've made this look really wearable- love it! :)

    Olivia :) x
    Wait Until The Sunset

    ReplyDelete
  20. That coat dress is fantastic and I love the pleated skirt too! Thanks for linking up!
    -Meagan
    www.spunkychateau.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. nice idea..thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).