Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Perfect Foil

Daily Outfit, 2/24/11

Oregon was supposed to be hit by a late-winter storm sometime this week, and finally, this morning, we had snow on the ground.  Not much, but it’s the perfect foil for my black and red outfit. 




I layered a sleeveless wool dress (Liberty House, thrifted), over my cap-sleeve red dress (Banana Republic, also seen here), which I in turn layered over a black turtleneck (Old Navy) and black tights (Spanx Tight End Tights via Nordstrom).  I paired the outfit with my brown studded belt (Michael Michael Kors via Nordstrom) and brown riding boots (Born Crown “Sosie” via Nordstrom). 
 
I wasn’t sure how this would turn out (you know I didn’t try it before-hand), but I really like it. And, as an added bonus, from the side, I look as though I'm dressed like a ninja - it's hilarious, I'm sorry we didn't get a picture.

Enough about the clothes though.  Last night I went to Jazzercise and was utterly mortified by my teacher.  Let me give you a little background first.  One, and I’ve mentioned this before on my blog, a few years ago I took a pole-dancing class for a year or two.  And I loved it – best exercise ever.  Two, my friend Kory is one of the friendliest people I know, but as such, she tells everybody everything.  When she first began doing Jazzercise, she told everyone in our class everything about her and that I was taking a pole-dancing class. 

Fast-forward to last night’s Jazzercise class.  We’re doing this corny move that involved pelvic thrusts and making motorcycle-revving motions with your hands while waving them above your head.  It’s not a sexy move.  It’s a move that one might see Kevin James doing in “Hitch.”  But, my instructor, God love her, apparently thinks it’s sexy and something a stripper might do (it’s not) because she yells into the microphone “Gracey, you should love this move because you used to be a pole dancer!” 

More than a few people turned and stared at me and all I could think was, “Wow.  I took a pole-dancing EXERCISE class, I didn’t moonlight at Starz.”    But, it’s the middle of class and I can’t defend myself.  So, I’m pretty sure that everyone in my Jazzercise class thinks I’m an ex-stripper. They might not, however, as my instructor is always yelling awesomely random things into the mic.  I'm not sure anyone was paying attention and if they were, there is always the hope that people were suffering from oxygen deprivation and won’t remember.  Fingers crossed!

Happy Thursday, All!

Gracey

P.S. Today's pictures were taken by the lovely Phyllisa Applebum (she and Kathy gave me a ride to spare me from having to ride my bike in the snow.  I don't bike well in the snow).  Thanks, Phyllisa!

14 comments:

  1. Ah nothing quite like a wildly inappropriate jazzercise instructor.
    I love your outfit - it's super flattering and you look great in red!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, she is insane. I love her, but she's always yelling crazy stuff.

    I really liked how this outfit turned out too - better than I expected (excepting the whole ninja aspect) which is always a pleasant surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very striking outfit! And, if I'd heard someone announce this, I would simply think you were a 'very interesting' person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, beautiful outfit, and some advanced layering there. You look very elegant in it! I've got a green silk wrap dress with a similar shape and pattern to the one you're wearing there, and I hadn't thought of wearing layers *under* it until I saw this. Now I'm wondering if I can late-winterize it by trying something like this.

    Your Jazzercise instructor does sound kind of mad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do a very similar move in Zumba. There's also one where we imitate a gorilla. Pay two dollars and check your shame at the door.

    Ah, brown and black together. It always looks so rich and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AHAHAHA! That is such an awesomely embarrassing story. And, seriously, being a ninja is super cool. Now I have a deep desire to see the outfit from the side.

    On a more serious note, I love this outfit! All of those layers, but it doesn't look bulky in the slightest. And the black/brown mixing is FAB! I'm still trying to work up the courage for it, mainly because I'm a little brown-unsure. But you rock it so well, that I'm seriously pondering the combo for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man. That's completely horrible. But it does make for a truly hilarious story ... once the horror has worn off, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Jazzercise just moved up to a whole new level for me. That's awesome.

    Also, nice layering upon layering! I don't think it looks ninja, but if it did, perhaps you're starting a new trend of ninja chic?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been following your blog since January but first time commenting. Had to delurk because this post gave me a much needed laugh. Awesome. And I love the red and black.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love all this layering....You look so pulled together and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Terri - thank you! From now on I'll just assume everyone in Jazzercise finds me "interesting." lol.

    @Ana - you have to try layering your green dress like this - I would love to see it.

    @Katie - We also do a move where we're told to emulate a dog wiping his feet after going to the bathroom. Jazzercie is awesome, but Zumba sounds hilarious too. Maybe I should give it a shot.

    @Erin - This was probably the most successful layering I've ever done and I think it worked so well because all of the layers are thin. The turtleneck is jersey, the red dress is jersey and the wool dress is not a bulky knit. And because I have awesome ninja skills. lol. Also, I don't wear a lot of brown either, but I love brown accessories with black - I think it's a good way to do it if you're hesitant.

    @Sal - I can finally laugh about it today. When I told my friends at work yesterday, they thought it was hilarious, but I was still just mortified. Today I can see that it really was funny.

    @Anne - I'm telling you. That's the added appeal of Jazzercise - you stand a chance of being absolutely mortified by your instructor. And who doesn't want that?

    @cwhf - thank you for following, and I'm glad I could provide a much needed laugh!

    @Emmy - thank you, Em! I was very please with how this layering turned out too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this layered look. I never would have thought of that and it is genius!
    (And eepers about the gym class...but it's a great story)

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  13. pretty, liberty house made (makes?) some great dresses. oddly enough, all the dresses I ever owned by them were red, too

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Linda - I am very happy at how this look turned out. I don't know what made me think of layering like this, but I'm glad I did. And yes, I can finally agree that this story is hilarious.

    @Melina Bee - thank you. And I don't know if Liberty House still makes dresses or not...

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).