Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Perfect Midi

Daily Outfit, 2/16/11

Even though the midi-skirt trend sort of scares me, it’s something I have wanted to try.  I’d admired the midi-skirt wearing skills of both Steph at The Dashing Eccentric (here and here) and Christine at My Style Pill (here) but wasn’t positive it was something I could pull off.  I was fairly sure my height would let me wear these skirts, but I was worried about looking too frumpy.  I didn’t have any midi-skirts in my closet to experiment with, but also didn’t want to spend a lot of money on something that I might possibly not be able to wear.

So, I’ve been looking in thrift stores for the perfect midi-skirt for months now.  And a couple of weeks ago, I finally found it!  This skirt is exactly what I was looking for.  It’s the perfect length, it’s an A-line (my preferred shape) and it has a wide waist-band (I loathe skinny bands).  It’s also a lovely grey, fully lined, and has an interesting design element which my new best friend, Ferge, says makes me look thin.  Thanks, Ferge!


Even though the skirt is perfect, I still wasn’t sure what to wear with it.  As I said, I didn’t want to be too frumpy, but at the same time, I wanted to stay with the librarian feel of the skirt because that’s something I like about them.  Enter this fabulous wine-colored blouse (Mossimo/Target) and my peacock-colored cardigan (a.n.a/JC Penney), both of which look wonderful with grey.  I finished the look with wine-colored tights (Hue via Nordstrom Rack), a thin black belt (INC via Macy’s) and my ubiquitous black booties.


What about you, dear readers?  Are you midi-skirt wearers?  Any tips and tricks I should know for remixing this skirt?

Happy Wednesday, and as always, thank you for reading!

Gracey

9 comments:

  1. In college I used to thrift midi plaid skirts to wear with my tall black boots - I adored it. And now it's in style, so obviously I'm a fashion genius! And speaking of genius, hello cunning boots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice outfit! I like the colors of the top and sweater together. And wow, that blouse is Target? How cute!

    I can't pull off the midi length. I'm tall, but my legs aren't terribly long so skirts/dresses that fall right at the knee are my best length. It does, however, look fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to love the midi skirt, if only for its foxy librarian vibes, but, alas, it makes my legs look stumpy. Unless of course I wear insane shoes.

    I actually feel like this is a look taller girls can pull off, especially if they happen to have nice slender legs. I definitely don't think it makes you look frumpy at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I've been curious to try it but not quite sure how to pull it off. I think this looks fantastic - the colourful blouse and cardigan with the fun tights and booties makes it anything but frumpy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty! This skirt is gorgeous on you. When it gets a bit warmer...which it will..eventually...you could wear a silky tank top and a light cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie - I actually thrifted another midi at the same time I thrifted this one. And it's plaid. And I'll be wearing with my tall boots! You are a fashion genius - and apparently my fashion inspiration without even trying.

    Anne - I agree that length is key. If it hits you in the wrong spot, it can go terribly, terribly wrong. I was worried that I was cutting my leg line with these black booties, but I *think* they're okay.

    Rose, it's totally foxy librarian, right?! I love that about them.

    Allison - you have to give it a try. If I can do it, you can do it!

    Thank you, Erin. And I will definitely be stealing your idea of a sikly tank and light cardi for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Think that skirt is perfect, looks great on you! perfect midi length.

    Daisy Dayz Home
    Cross-Jones-Photography Home

    ReplyDelete
  8. if anyone can wear a midi skirt, it is someone as tall as you! you won't see one on me though, things below the knee scare me.

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Daisy May! I think it's the perfect length too.

    I think you're right, Lyddie, height definitely helps with this length of skirt.

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).