Sunday, January 20, 2013

New Year’s Style Resolutions




I don’t do New Year’s Resolutions.  I mean, I’m going to work out exactly as much as I want to, regardless of any resolutions I make.  However, I’ve seen a couple of posts on style resolutions and thought that was something I could do.  And then, of course, I couldn’t think of anything which is why I'm just now getting around to posting this.  

It’s not that I think my style is perfect (well, maybe perfectly eclectic) it’s just that, for the most part, I like what I wear.  But, I do think I could push myself a little more.  And I could refine my style a bit, if only because “refined eclectic” sounds fancier than just “eclectic.”  So, here they are; my style resolutions for 2013.  Better late than never, right?


Wear color.

Yes, I know I already wear a lot of color, but I want to make sure that, in my drive to refine my style, that I don’t lose my love of color.  So, this resolution is to maintain my current color-wearing ways but in a more refined manner. 


Play with proportion.

Proportion scares me.  I love color and I love print and I like to think I can handle both fairly well, but proportion throws me off my game.  I tried playing with proportion a little bit last year, with mixed results, but I want to make even more of an effort in 2013.


Relax.

I love slouchy, cool outfits.  I have never, ever been able to pull one off.  I don’t know if it’s that I’m inherently uncool or if it’s my body shape/size or it I am just sort of uptight, but I can’t do relaxed style.  But, I’ve decided this year is the year.  So, prepare yourselves for a lot of experimental layers and oversized slouch, because Gracey is bringing the cool.  Hopefully.


Clean my closet.

It’s not that my closet is a mess (well, it is, but that has nothing to do with this resolution) it’s that it’s full.  Too full.  I cleaned some spring/summer clothes out with last summer’s Nosh Opping Expedition, but I really should do the same for my fall/winter clothes.  And then do another round for spring/summer, just to be safe.  Because, somehow, I still have a LOT of clothes.  But, I’m working on it.  Sort of…


What about you, Reader Friends?  Do you have any style resolutions for the New Year?

Gracey

16 comments:

  1. Style resolutions are a great thing to have
    My big resolution is shop my closet more than shop the stores
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great resolutions! I have a style resolution this year -- find some! Being heavier than I want to be, I've been hiding in frumpy for years. So this year I plan to try and change that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some nice resolutions.

    XO Arezu

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these kinds of guiding principles rather than rules! I don't have any new ones, but maintaining my current reduced-shopping-enjoying-what-I-already-have is going well. Blogging is awesome as a reflective surface, and I'm sure that as I go on new principles will emerge. I suppose it's "good" that I'm also having a space issue to support the examination of my consumerist ways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine echo yours, but also to stop shopping this year. I've worked hard editing my closet and I need to stop browsing, hunting, looking for the next piece to extend my closet even more. I have tons of remix potential, but need to actually start USING that potential.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! It's great to hear you wanting to experiment. I'm sure you'll find new ways to expand your repertoire.

    My resolution is the same -- to try new things, learn about new styles and grow. I want to deepen my knowledge of fashion 'cause I find the subject so fascinating. Plus, I enjoy sharing about it with good friends like you.

    Honestly, Gracey, there are times when I think about your generosity in sending me clothes and I want to cry with joy. I never thought I'd have a friend as supportive as you. Big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all great resolutions, Gracey! (Especially the cleaning one!) I'm really trying to make smarter shopping choices...not buying something just because it's a great price, and knowing when to slurge a little for a wardrobe staple.

    April
    Knocked Up Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see your experiments!! It's so much fun to play around and I know you'll thrill us with your creativity!! And because I think it's soooooo gorgeous, I hope we can see more hair. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you have perfect style, Gracey. It's you I was thinking of when I scored my first vintage ala Gracey dress, with a pleated skirt, and a pussy bow. At the GW Boutique! Yay!!!

    As you can see, my intent (I'm terrible at resolutions) is not to shop as much, although I justify the GoodWill as Not Shopping. I'm also trying to stick to the one in, one out rule.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so hear you on the slouchy thing. We're of a similar size, and I keep trying to pull off things like "boyfriend" jeans or off-shoulder oversized tops, and it's just a disaster. Frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No particular resolutions for me either, but I like your ideas about what to continue doing or experiment with. Slouchy is a tricky look for me too, so I will be interested to see how you make it work for you (maybe I can copy!)
    Can I make a teeny please-don't-be-offended plea for "eclectic" or "varied" as descriptors of your style as opposed to schizophrenic? I can't help it, it's the ex-mental health worker in me! Your blog, your choice of words, I know, just felt I wanted to say something.
    Can't wait to see another year of fabulous outfits and cool dance moves, Gracey! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you, I love slouchy outfits but I always thought I could only wear sheath dress and such until I started dressing outside of my comfort zone. (Hah, I'd like to think that I've managed to incorporate a little of the slouchy cool into my style, but I dunno.) I'm pretty sure you could completely pull of that look as you've got such a bombastic awesome sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My post earlier today also mentions my 'style goals' however they're not as organised and thorough as yours and is only three lines ... but I did mention colours as if I don't keep in in the fore of my mind, i'll go back to beige, brown, white and black ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My resolution is to try to wear everything I already own. And be more creative, every day. Shop less, if anything. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it would be amazing to get some of the excess out of my closet, but really, I think I'd just rather have a much bigger closet. I mean, closet size is just sort of something I happened upon. it wasn't a decision, so why should it dictate what and how much I can have?

    but yeah, not wanting to put things away because they will be a wrinkled mess when they come out? not good.

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  16. I look forward to seeing your experiments in slouchy!

    I'm short and built like a wee athletic battle axe, so the full out slouchy square sweaters make me look like a slovenly dwarf.

    Mixing a slouchy or oversize piece with other pieces that fit like you are used to really helps the transition and make it all blend, in my opinion. I've tried looser fit light burnout tees over my normal tank tops and boot cut jeans and managed to not feel like a hobo.

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).