Friday, January 11, 2013

2013 Color of the Year: Emerald



Although I swear I’d heard a rumor that the Pantone Color of the Year for 2013 was going to be a rather boring blue, it is, in fact, Emerald.  Pantone 17-5641 Emerald to be exact:


While I’m happy it wasn’t a boring blue (seriously, does anyone else remember hearing that?) I’m actually not all that thrilled with this year’s color of the year.  I think it’s beautiful, I think it’ll look good on pretty much everyone and it’s certainly not boring, but in general, emerald just isn’t my thing. 

But, dedicated online shopper that I am, I was still able to find some things I like in this bright emerald:


Image via marianavail Etsy shop

Cowl-like scarves are having a moment.  Get this one in emerald and you're doubly on trend.
 


Image via Nieman Marcus Last Call

I love green pants.  I don't have any, but not for lack of trying.  I'd totally wear these.



Image via Amazon.com

If I do buy anything in this shade it would probably be shoes and I like the simple shape (and the price) of these flats.



Image via Nordstrom.com

I love the navy, aqua and terra cotta with the emerald.


I definitely wear any of those pieces, but if I had my druthers, I’d prefer dark emerald to bright emerald. 


Here are some things I like in dark emerald:

Oregon Ducks Helmets:

Go Ducks!


I just put this in so I could brag on the fact that we won the Fiesta Bowl this year.  And because the helmets are pretty.



Image via Amazon.com

I adore differently colored heels on shoes; I think they're so fun.



Image via yoox.com

Although I'd certainly wear the bright emerald flats above, my heart belongs to dark emerald pumps like these.



Image via Piperlime

I actually own this cardigan and although the shape is weird and the buttons are superfluous, I really rather like it.



Image via Bloomingdales.com

I don't carry small bags (where do you keep your book?) but I am mildly obsessed with, and so would make an exception for, this one.


What about you, Reader Friends?  What are your thoughts on emerald?  Bright?  Dark?  Not at all?

Happy Friday, All!

Gracey

** Disclosure: Actions taken from the hyperlinks in this blog post may yield commission/compensation for the writer. Please see the Disclosure tab for more details.

27 comments:

  1. Loving all of your emerald picks! That sweater from Piperlime is so pretty!

    Jayme & Mendi @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like emerald, but honestly my eyes see the Patone color as teal. A bright teal/aqua. There's a lot of blue in it. I like the bright color because I think it's one of "my" colors. It works well with pale skin and red hair. Although my eyes still love the vibrant oranges from last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, so I'm not the only one who sees teal.

      Delete
  3. IN LOVE with the emerald infinity scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm OK with the Emerald. Especially all of the items you picked out above. I will take one of each, please. Minus the Ducks helmet...but I HAVE to say that because my sister is a Beav...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your dark emerald shoe picks! Probably because they are close enough to olive / not overly forest. Bright or medium emerald aren't colours I'd choose for myself, although they are perfectly nice. Being "in" or "of the year" tends to make me less likely to buy something of a particular hue. I eventually came quite close to drinking the cobalt Kool Aid once though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Halogen scarf and crossbody bag are lovely - although you make a good point about not being able to carry a book. :)
    I like both shades of green, although I'm not sure whether I'll be picking up anything in this year's "it" color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not head-over-heels for emerald, although I DO like it with the colors in that second scarf. Dark emerald is a bit too close to forest green, which is a color that's never flipped my skirt either. I enjoy iridescent dark emerald, though, like in beetle wing earrings, though:

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/61988407/green-beetle-wing-earrings-medium-length

    Too weird?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though though though. Words are hard.

      Delete
    2. Not at all weird. Just right. And yes, words are hard.

      Delete
  8. Gracey....love the Rainieri pumps. Sofft also has some beautiful emerald pumps that I am drooling over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emerald is gorgeous. I love that cross body bag!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Halogen scarf is lovely - I adore emerald, but I love the brighter kelly green!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love emerald! Greet might be my orange, and emerald is one of my most favorite shades. I hope you'll give it a shot with one of these great finds :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Ducks won? I live in Eugene, and I didn't even know the outcome. Guess you can tell I'm not a football fan.

    I love the shoes you picked out, and the accessories. Otherwise, emerald is not really the color for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's alright. I agree with you - it is a beautiful color, but it's not super exciting. I don't even think I own anything in emerald.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear, I'm not a big fan of anything green so I guess 2013 is not going to be my year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, I do like emerald, though this particular shade is sort of... plasticky? Anyway, I don't think I ever knew what the colour of the year was, so thank you for the info! :)

    Hehe, those buttons _are_ really superfluous... But it's a great cardi! I also agree with your shoe choices!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely choices, especially the shoes. I like most shades of green, apart from maybe bottle green which reminds me of school uniforms... But a nice rich bright emerald is fine. It was fine before Pantone chose it, it will be fine afterwards too!
    PS. Does anyone else think the whole "colour of the year" thing is madness?! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Team Dark Emerald - although I'd totally go for anything you feature in these post. Well, except for football helmets :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gasp! Those black boots with the green heels are stunning. I have come to adore green over this past year and infused it into my wardrobe in quite a few ways already. I'd love to add some of these pieces to my wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Definitely want to incorporate some more emerald in my wardrobe this year. lmao well they give a whole mood board of colors and there were 2 blues on there but then they pick one of those colors as the "color of the year" which is emerald. so perhaps where you heard boring blue?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wait, what? I can't believe that that, you look amazing in every color. (In fact, I'm always jealous of the colors that you can pull off, I'm pretty much stuck with boring old blue.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. i think it's a pretty color, one that i don't have enough in. i'd gladly take those booties and both scarves, though, to do my part!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm with you, I prefer the dark emerald shades.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are great choices, especially that bag! I love emerald because it's my birthstone and green is my favorite color.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love emerald and just wrote a post about it too. I think it's a very flattering colour, no matter what colour of complexion or hair a girl has. I already started the New Year with an outfit in a colour I call emerald, but is a bit darker than this swatch from Pantone. The ankle boots in your post are delicious. Love, Sara xx

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).