Monday, October 31, 2011

I’ve Got This: Ponchos

Alternately titled: Pretending with Giants

So this isn’t really a poncho; it’s more like a sweater pretending to be a poncho pretending to be a cape.  And wearing it allows me to pretend to be on trend:


I layered the sweater (BCBG) over a short knit dress (Nordstrom) which in turn was layered over a long-sleeve tee (Gap), leggings (INC via Macy’s) and wedge booties (Nine West “Peekaboo” via Piperlime).

I like to shop.  Nay, I love to shop.  Mostly thrifting, but I’ve been known to tear through Nordstrom like mad as well (that darned Anniversary Sale gets me every time).  But, even I can admit that while I may love to shop, I don’t need to shop.  My closet(s) are pretty well stocked and I often even have on trend items on hand without shopping.   Like this sweater, for example:


I have had this sweater for years and while it’s not exactly a poncho, its close enough for me not to feel like I have to go out and buy an actual poncho just to be on trend.  Which is why I’m linking up over at 260 Days, No Repeats for “I’ve Got This” Week.  Although it can be very tempting to shop when you see new trends in stores and magazines, it’s not always necessary to shop to be on trend.  Sometimes just looking in your closet will allow you to say “I’ve got this” about a trend.


How about you all?  Do look for on trend items in your closets every season or do you just give into the lure of your favorite retailer?

Happy Monday, Everyone!

Gracey

P.S. You all know that I love me some Sal from Already Pretty, right?  Well, this weekend she gave me even more reason to love her (not that it was needed) when she showcased Fashion for Giants in a Recommended Reading post.  Needless to say, I am ridiculously flattered and just want to say thank you again to Sal.  So, thank you, Sal!!!

20 comments:

  1. I'm here because of the post at Already Pretty, and I'm very glad that Sally linked to you.
    Love your outfit, love your smile! :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sweater/poncho/cape (sweponchape?) looks surprisingly versatile! Good thing, too, if it means you can bust it out and be all stylish instead of having to go get something new. I haven't been really dressing nicely long enough to experience a lot of seasonal trends, but so far I haven't really felt the pull of a trend strongly enough to go shopping explicitly for said trend. I just shop for whatever I like at thrift stores and then try to make it work!

    (I was so excited to see Sal's post--you're awesome and people need to know about you!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, my dear! More than happy to give you a shout-out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do have a great smile! And how cool are the poncho/sweater/whatever thing! Love yours--I'm following!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kinda wish I had a poncho in my closet but, I don't :/ Love this look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love clothes that pretend to be other clothes and then pretend to be other clothes again. hahaha! That said, this ponchosweatercape is totally super LOVE! and I really like the color!
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are fabulously on trend! That sweater layering thing you did worked wonderfully...you look so cozy and very classic. I'm excited I found your blog through my bestie Jessica-OhMyDarling...following now :)

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that sweater! Isn't nice when you're so ahead of the trend, you're like 5 years before everyone? Very smart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the sweater, Gracey! Don't you love when you have a trend already sitting in your closet? That's one of the reasons I love thrifting, because a lot of trends repeat, so you can usually find them there for cheap =)

    http://frugalbiggirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this look, Gracey! I have spent the last year or so trying to build up my wardrobe. Now, I'm finally at a place where I can sometimes shop my closet. I always get so excited when I hang on to pieces that later come back "in style" or that I learn how to wear differently, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay Gracey! I'm always excited when I see one of my favorite bloggers get a shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look absolutely lovely! Dare I say you look "ponchoriffic?"

    ReplyDelete
  13. loving that sweater cape! it's adorable and looks great on you! i'm terrible. i love to shop too. thrifting is fun because it makes me feel like i'm not spending too much money (plus i love a bargain). i also love clearance racks, especially Old Navy and Target. but i have to say, Nordstrom is one of my faves still too!!!

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your poncho-cape, sweater thing, who cares what it is as long as it looks great on you! haha..I like how you have this pink sleeves peeping out from under. I'm not a trendy person, besides I live on thrift and hand-me-downs, so I put together stuff that I think looks good but necessary trendy.

    mongs,
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gracey, I love reading your posts. You are so full of energy and wonderful confidence. Great colors in this outfit. Sweater color paird with pink sleeves is gorg. Have a great day...!! Dawn Suitcase Vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha, your comments always crack me up/make me smile, girl! I love this poncho/cape thing, and the outfit you created around it - the little pop of pink in your long sleeves peeking out is so cute and unexpected! You are so right, I can find things in my closet that would prevent me from rushing out the door to buy the latest trend...but working at a consignment shop, I trade my items out pretty quickly, allowing me to fully indulge in whichever trend I'd like to try for a fraction of the retail cost!

    Oh, and check out my new inspiration link-up, it's open through Sunday, every Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the pink sleeves peeping out. The sudo-poncho is a great look for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hooray for shopping your closet! The sweater is perfect with the skirt and pop of pink.

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).