Wednesday, October 12, 2011

All the Sense in the World

As many of you know, I have often written about my confusion over the place of short-sleeved sweaters in the world.  And yet, add just a little more sleeve and all of a sudden I can’t get enough.  That’s right, folks, short sleeve sweaters confuse me but three-quarter sleeved sweaters make all the sense in the world:



I wore one yesterday, I’m wearing one today and I’ll probably wear one tomorrow.  Today’s is a cropped navy and white striped sweater (Boston Proper, thrifted) that I layered over a black dress (Target).  I added my other Born boots (Nordstrom), a couple of bracelets (local artist and Macy’s), pink drop earrings (Alberta Street vendor) and a fuchsia scarf (v. old, Macy’s).

I think my love of three-quarter sleeved items, sweaters and otherwise, is a holdover from my high school days when nobody carried “tall” clothing for women and I was forced to either push my too-short sleeves up or buy three-quarter sleeved tops.  Now quite a few places carry “tall” clothes, but I still like a good three-quarter sleeve for nostalgia’s sake.

Today's Takeaway?  If you want to try one of the season's cropped sweaters without showing skin or having the wind get fresh with you, try layering one over a dress.  It adds more coverage and more coverage, if you know what I mean.

Happy Wednesday, Everyone!

Gracey

14 comments:

  1. three quarter sleeves are my favorite too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to get everything in 3/4 vs long sleeved if I can. Even tall lengths are often too short for my arms, and after so many years of never having fabric reach my wrists I find I can't get used to the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So freakin cute. I love the silhouette! I've been looking at all of those cute cropped sweaters and wondering how to make them work for me. You nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love 3/4 sleeve sweaters! I bunch up long-sleeved tops and sweaters...I can't stand it unless its super cold.

    And, I like your suggestion of wearing cropped sweaters over dresses :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it.. I think short sleeved sweaters confuse me too! So you are not alone..ha

    WERK! ~Angel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought about it, but I feel the same about short-sleeved versus 3/4 sleeved sweaters. I mean short sleeves, really? I guess I figure if it's warm enough to wear short sleeves, I don't want something as heavy as a sweater.

    Anyway, love all the colors in this outfit! Dark blue and pink is such a great combo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the detail on the dress, and LOVE the boots! You look lovely, as always. I'm a recent convert to 3/4 length sleeves, though it's getting cool enough that I need to start transitioning to full-length sleeves. =)

    Kelsey
    charmingpumpkin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, your sweater woes crack me up. I used to have tons of trouble with sleeve length--who am I kidding? I still do! Anyway, that dress looks like it is adorable all on its own and with the sweater over it and the scarf you almost have a Parisian vibe going. (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. At first glance I thought you were wearing a black skirt until I read the post! LOVE how you layered the sweater over the dress. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katie & Gracey, my thoughts exactly. 3/4 length sleeves are never "too short". :) What stores do you find talls tops in? Actual brick and mortar places? Online is no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. See, Gracey, if you had teeny little munchkin short arms like me, you would have learned to appreciate the short sleeved sweater. I am wearing a "3/4 length" shirt that is an inch from my freakin' wrists.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally get you on the scrunched sleeve thing. 3/4 really is my most comfortable length, possibly due to the relative scarcity of full-length sleeves for much of my life causing me to have frequent cuff-soiling accidents with them now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Marciepooh - I have not found any brick and mortar stores that carry tall. Every once in awhile I get lucky and find tall items that have been returned to the Gap or Banana Republic or Old Navy, but that's it. Although, apparently sometimes the Banana Republic Factory Store carries tall/long pants. But, only sometimes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. yay for stripes and that pretty scarf! loving those boots with it too!

    spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).