Friday, January 27, 2012

FBFF for January 27th – New Trends

With Fashion Week just around the corner, most bloggers are beginning to focus on the upcoming trends for fall.  Luckily for me, Katy at Modly Chic catered to non-Fashion Week attendees this week and asked us about our feelings on current trends.  My fully thought out and not-at-all-slapdash answers to the questions are below.

1. For trends hitting the stores now, what are you coveting?

Tangerine, of course:


Pantone announced Tangerine Tango as the color of the year and I couldn’t be more excited.  It’s been well-documented on here how much I love orange and I think Tangerine Tango is an especially gorgeous shade.  I already have several pieces and have even already started wearing them:


Oddly enough, I'm also excited about printed pants:

From left: Robert Rodriguez, MARC by Marc Jacobs and Elizabeth and James

I say oddly enough because I’m aware that fashion gurus (and maybe even common sense) dictate that people with sizeable thighs shouldn’t draw attention to the size of their thighs with printed pants.  But, here’s the deal; one, I like a challenge and this will be my fashion challenge for this spring and summer.  And two, my thighs like attention; they figure if they can get public sympathy on their side, the UN is more likely to recognize them as an independent nation.

2.   How do your incorporate new trends into your wardrobe?

With as much panache and as little trouble as I can manage.  I’m usually light on the panache part, but I’m also light on the trouble part, so no complaints.  Mostly though, I’m just really careful about what pieces I choose to incorporate a new trend.  For example, with the printed pants, I’m not going to be looking for long, palazzo-style printed pants like the ones shown above.  I don’t think they’d work for my style and I’m not sure what shoes I’d pair with them.  No, I’ll be looking for cropped, printed pants that are still soft and flowy.  Soft dressing is another challenge that I’m looking to master this year so I’m trying to kill two birds with one stone.

3.  What trend are you seeing and not loving?

Mint green:

From left: Vera Wang, Jenny Packham, Vera Wang and Jenny Packham

Mint green just isn’t pretty to me.  I mean the clothes above are very, very pretty but the color itself is not pretty.  I associate it with hospitals and soapy-tasting mint-chocolate chip ice cream.  I don’t know.  Don’t ask.  And even though the models above appear to the average layperson to demonstrate that mint green looks good on everyone, I am convinced that it won’t look good on me.  Convinced, people! 

3.   Do you feel the pressure to constantly update your closet with the latest trends?

Goodness, no.  Which is probably the wrong answer for a blogger to give, but the latest trends don’t always appeal to me.  Or, if they appeal to me, they don’t always work for me.  Or, both.  Like mint green.  Mint green does not appeal to or work for me.

4.  Where do you find inspiration that takes the trend and makes it accessible to you and your personal taste?

My fellow style bloggers are a huge inspiration to me.  Especially those who take new trends and provide practical examples of how to wear them.  One limitation for me regarding new trends is that I can’t always wrap my mind around them.  Like, how would that look on someone who is not model thin and/or doesn’t have a Balenciaga budget?  I often get stuck in a rut of what I can wear or what looks good on me and can’t always see the potential in a new trend – seeing other bloggers wear something can help me see it in a new light.  Except mint green.  I’m not interested in seeing mint green in a new light.

I’m sure you all found this post very enlightening, or at the very least you learned to never, ever give me anything mint green for my birthday.  To see more enlightening posts/gift ideas, visit Modly Chic for a list of this week’s FBFF participants.

And have a wonderful weekend!

Gracey

15 comments:

  1. I completely agree on all fronts!!! I hate mint green and don't think I will ever be able to wear it...but love tangerine (although that might take some getting used to as well)...and the printed pants are so much fun! I hope I can find a cheap pair :)

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are polar opposites on the trends we like. I love pastels and have actually worn lots of pieces in mint green. I cannot fathom printed pants though. I had a horrible purple rose floral print in 8th grade that have scarred me for life. Or maybe it was the printed harem pants in 7th grade. Either way it's so much fun to see what everybody is interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That tangerine is a really pretty shade of orange. And I'm with you on mint green, though personally I don't like it because it would look terrible with my coloring (I actually think it would look nice on you if you gave it a shot!). And for #3, I appreciate reading bloggers that don't give in and fill their closets with tons of new trends every season. That's not really realistic for a lot of us, so it's more fun to see how everyone can remix what's already in their wardrobes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay... I kind of love/hate mint green right now. I currently have it painted on my nails and some moments it looks unusual and chic and others it just looks like a baby dinosaur threw up mint green on my nails or something.

    -Nico

    www.SatinAndSalt.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a soft spot for mint green, and have trouble wearing orange! :) I can't figure out what I think about printed pants. On the one hand I feel like they look cool on uber-trendy folk, but since I am not one of those people, I might just have to pass on that trend... but come to think of it, I actually have flower-print pants somewhere at the back of my wardrobe! Maybe I'll give them a whirl at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi ya, thanks for your visit over to day2daywear...I am still adjusting to being back from vacation!! I love your answers and I am like you.... ICK mint green.... might be nice on some but is a clinical looking color if you ask me!! LOL
    Love your skirt too and its awesome with the striped top... have a super weekend girl.. talk next week xoxo J

    ReplyDelete
  7. But how do you feel about mint green? : > Your orange skirt speaks for itself, and I think you will *own* some printed pants!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So what you're saying is that you don't like mint green, right? Heh.

    I am with you on the colour of the year. It's about time orange got some respect. I'm seeing it all over the place in the shops, and it's hard not to just buy it all up in anticipation of the Great Orange Drought that will one day come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not all that keen for mint green either, actually I pretty much don't think I look good in any pastel colours.
    I'm going to have to try out the tangerine colour. Orange is one colour that's lacking in my wardrobe & I it might be time to stretch my colour horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the stripes, red and polka dot umbrella together! you're so chic, Gracey. i love the idea of those printed pants. they look comfy though i feel like they'll be a little hard to pull off unless i wear 5 inch shoes (which i own, so maybe i can pull them off :)

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That orange skirt is amazing! I totally love it and I'm sure you'll be able to rock out those print pants!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the tangerine especially the Marc Jacobs pants!! I'm so sad you don't like the mint because I love it!!:(

    Rhe
    rhestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh NO! I love mint green. It's okay though, that just means more mint on the shelves for me haha ;) I think you could rock printed pants for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great answers! I'm the most excited about the tangerine tango trend too! I already own a Kate Spade bag in that color, so I'll def be rocking it this Spring. :)

    Mendi @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to say that I love your umbrella. Whimsical, yet still simple! :)
    I also love variations on orange, mainly coral and tangerine.

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).