Thursday, September 29, 2011

Blue Makes All the Difference

As you all know, I love orange and think it goes with everything (which it totally does) but even I’m hesitant to pair it with black for fear of looking Halloween-y.  Today, however, paired black with orange and did so fearlessly because I also tempered the look with blue:



I got the idea for this color combination from Jill at Good Life for Less.  And I was thrilled because it gives me even more ways to wear the orange in my wardrobe.  For today, I paired a black jersey dress (v. old) with my orange beaded necklace (street fair vendor) and a bright blue cardigan (v. old).  I added cognac accessories in the way of a braided belt (thrifted) and espadrille wedges (Corso Como via Piperlime). 

And I loved it.  I think the blue cardigan really does make all the difference in the world to this outfit.  But, the fact that the necklace is more of a red-orange instead of a bright orange also helps keep the look out of Halloween territory.

Today’s Takeaway?  You can pair orange with black; just keep the orange muted and add some blue.

What do you think, folks?  Do you think you might give this color combo a try?

Happy Thursday!

Gracey

15 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I'm going to have to try this out, actually. I love the combo of black and orange, but like you I'm always convinced I look too Halloween-y. The blue is the perfect contrast, particularly paired with cognac accessories. Thanks for the idea! =)

    Kelsey
    charmingpumpkin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like to pair orange with black and keep the black muted, i.e. grey. But this is fab too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy! I have the same necklace.

    http://www.thoreausdaughter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those colors together!

    http://frugalbiggirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I love your sense of style

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you've hit upon a style secret of some sort here. I've always like blue and orange together, but would never have thought to add them to black...I think you've helped me make a breakthrough!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh heck, yes, this works. Somehow, it's like you get a strong, distinct, impression of all three individual colours, but they're all working as a team. I like the cognac neutrals with them a lot, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe so! I would never have thought to do red-orange, black, and cobalt, but it TOTALLY works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the necklace with this! I have a similar necklace, and never would've thought to pair it with blue, but it's such a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this outfit looks great! I knew I liked those wedges, then i kept scrolling & saw that they were from Piperlime. I have an obsession with that site!

    We love your blog! Come visit ours & be sure to enter our $50 Piperlime E-Giftcard Giveaway!! ;)

    Mendi @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally great. I always love blue and orange but feel like I'm supposed to be heading to a football game, and black and orange feels costumey. This is PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This black/brown/blue combination looks great together!
    -Meagan
    www.spunkychateau.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. i just wore black and white with orange and was concerned about the same Halloween-y issue too. but this does NOT look at all like that and i love it. so smart to pair it with blue. this is a great combo!!!

    spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).