Friday, September 23, 2011

I Need More Velvet in My Life

It’s true I do.  I don’t have hardly any velvet in my wardrobe.  In fact, it may only be these shoes:


And that makes me sad because I love these shoes.  I love that fact that they’re velvet.  And teal.   And, according to my friends, Kathy and Ferge, look a little bit like upholstery.  Which I think is awesome, but maybe makes for a questionable level of taste (more on that later).



Today I wore my awesome, possibly upholstery-reminiscent velvet flats (Old Navy) with gray pants (Gap), a black cropped sweater (Target) layered over a teal tank (Target) and added my new beaded necklace (via an Albany street fair) and some self-made beaded earrings.  I like that this outfit incorporates more autumnal colors than what I’ve been wearing lately.  It feels like a good transition outfit for what my bloggy friend, Sarah (of Just Take a Bow), calls fummer (it’s not fall and it’s not summer – it’s fummer!).

Also, A couple of people have asked what day dresses are.  They are usually characterized by higher necklines and nipped waists with full skirts and they also often have sleeves.  These characteristics help differentiate them from shift and sheath dresses.  I know that In Style had a page of them in their September issue if you want to see some examples.

And finally, I have to tell you all that I am very, very happy it’s Friday.  This has been a busy and pretty stressful week and I think I might be coming down with a bit of a cold.  So I’m very glad it’s nearly over.  I hope to work on a project this weekend but otherwise am not going to be doing too much of anything.

What about you all?  Any big plans for the weekend?

Happy Friday, Everyone!

Gracey

12 comments:

  1. Those shoes are fabulous! I bought a velvet blazer last year and didn't end up wearing it. It seemed too holiday-ish or something every time I put it on. Maybe I will try again this year!

    Get some rest to ward off that cold:) Hope your weekend is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pattern on your shoes is pretty! I'm all for pointy toed flats. When did Old Navy sell them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you don't get a cold! Those velvet shoes are so wonderful, they make me smile. So does the orange necklace and, well the whole outfit including you! Have a good weekend,

    -Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love your velvet shoes. I thrifted a velvet frock coat recently, and it's going to be consolation for the weather getting just slightly colder than it is now.

    I totally love that necklace, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeeeah, fummer made its debut here! (: Also, velvet is lovely. I need more of it in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooohh! lovely :)

    waituntilthesunset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really, really like this outfit. Do you worry when you wear the velvet shoes about getting them wet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't do velvet (texture issues--the only thing worse is, shudder, corduroy), but the colors on those are pretty nice. They tie everything together nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these shoes too. I think that I need me some velvet shoes!

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).