Monday, September 19, 2011

Here’s Looking at You, Kid

The buttons on this skirt remind me of eyes:


They’re like a double pelvic periscope or something.  I don’t know what my pelvis might be looking at, but it’s looking at something.  Creepy pelvic eyes aside, I like this skirt.  It was actually a double-breasted, notch-collared, old-school Liz Claiborne dress when I first thrifted it.  I love the print and the fullness of the skirt, but the top was pretty atrocious so I removed it and just kept the skirt.  Which I paired with a teal tank (Old Navy), tan cardigan (Old Navy) and my riding boots (Born Crown “Sosie” via Nordstrom).

Although I can’t remove the buttons because the left one is functional, I think I might replace them with black buttons because the white ones really are sort of creepy.  Also creepy and also looking at you?  This handbag:


Do you guys remember seeing this Chloe bag in fashion magazines a couple of months ago?  I remember thinking when I spotted it in Marie Claire that it was absolutely hideous.  As it turns out, that level of hideousness is not even original.  I saw this clutch while antiquing with FB this weekend:


Isn’t that crazy?  It’s a taxidermy baby alligator affixed to an alligator clutch and it was handmade in Cuba in the 50s.

I guess everything old is new again.


Happy Monday, Everyone!

Gracey

14 comments:

  1. I'm laughing about these "creepy pelvic eyes" that I hadn't even noticed until you pointed them out. You crack me up. Also... those clutches are hideous. Why do they exist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. The blue really works with that totally not blue at all skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're totally cracking me up with your pelvic-eyed skirt. I LOVE how it turned out. Altering stuff like that is a skill I really need to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the very important research museum collection we had at the university I used to work for, we had a taxidermied turtle playing a banjo. Oh, yes, science happened there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm never going to be able to look at buttons on a skirt again without thinking of periscopes. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ewwwwwww. Not digging that alligator bag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OHMYGOD. That clutch is so ugly and awesome. Your skirt, however, is just awesome. What about turquoise or red buttons?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hee - I never would have thought of the buttons that way, but now that you mention it . . .

    I love the re-fashioned skirt, you're so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. anything handmade in cuba is freaking awesome! and i love your skirt!

    <3 steffy
    Steffys Pros and Cons

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cute--you can put your taxidermied frog coin purse in it.

    http://i52.tinypic.com/15egzfp.jpg

    Wakka wakka. I actually like it when things look like they have creepy eyes, but only when it's unintentional.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely outfit. I should think more outside the box when it comes to stuff like that; it never would have occurred to me to remove the top part of a dress and make it into a skirt.

    Those bags are kind of terrifying. I wouldn't want something like that in my house, let alone my hands. Urgh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't even notice the buttons! took me a while to figure out what you were talking about! Those bags are really quite horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blue really is your color! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh barf! Those handbags are nasty. Poor baby alligator. :(

    That's pretty resourceful of you to turn a dress into a skirt (I usually have my dry cleaners do alterations because I'm sewing challenged).

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).