Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Case of the Missing Pocket


Alternately titled: A Reason Not to DIY

This skirt only has one pocket:


I’ve railed against skirts with a single pocket before, however, this time; it’s not the skirt’s fault.  It’s mine.  This skirt actually started out with two pockets, was a size 24 and about six inches longer:






I hemmed it and trimmed it to a size 14, above-the-knee length marvel with a pocket on the butt.  Yep, in all my trimming and hemming, I failed to allow for pocket placement.  To take the skirt in, I cut a two inch strip of fabric out of the back and then stitched it back together.  This, apparently, took the right-hand pocket from its proper place on my right hip to a completely useless position on my right buttock. 

Of course, I only found this out after I tried the skirt one and tried to put my hands in my pockets; I actually had to reach back with my right hand to get to the pocket.  It was neither cute nor comfortable.  So, I cut the pocket out, sewed the skirt together and now am the proud owner of a single-pocket skirt.

I paired the skirt (thrifted and mangled) with a dark teal blouse (Target), knotted navy cardigan (Gap), cream tights (Target), wedge booties (Nine West) and some jewelry (Macys, vintage, local craftsman).  I like the color combination of this outfit (borrowed in part from this outfit of Kish’s) but I don’t think it’s quite working.  At least not from some angles.  If this outfit were an Olympic ice-skating routine, I’d get high points for concept but low scores for execution.  Basically, I would not medal.  Sad face.

Happy Thursday, Everyone!  It’s nearly over!!

Gracey

16 comments:

  1. You medal in my book! Always love a knotted cardigan. And one pocket skirts are TOTALLY the next big thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as Chelsea said, you always have a gold medal in my heart!! hahaha! But really I love that you attempted a DIY! (you would be SHOCKED at how often i cook or DIY something for my blog and it totally FLOPS ) I think that you should try again, because next time will be easier! At least... thats what i tell myself after ive spent the better part of an afternoon working on a new cake recipe and then I forget the baking soda.

    -Nico

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you look fantastic, but you made me giggle with your butt pocket surprise. Still, one pocket is definitely better than none!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you altered the skirt - it looks perfect on you! How funny about the pocket - I hope you don't miss it too much ;)

    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and being so lovely! I'm so glad you found me! Oregon gals gotta stick together :)

    xxx,
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, you had me laughing with this one. You know, if you're a wedgie-picker...that butt-pocket really could have come in "handy". (pun intended)

    Regardless, kudos to you for finding a diamond in the rough with this skirt. You get 10's all across! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually... I like the idea of a single pocket skirt. It's unique. And certainly better than a butt pocket, haha. I wish I Had amazing alterations skills like you, but about the best I can do is hem pants. Anything else ends in disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would not mind a butt pocket. Also, I'll take one pocket over no pockets--nothing ruins an outfit worse than a security badge clipped to the waistband! You did a great job altering the skirt--I'll have to try looking for really big skirts and taking them in! I don't think I've ever actually thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My right buttock is jealous that it does not have a pocket above it. I love the color of this skirt! Is it fuzzy, thick material? Or more of a spring weight?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This story seriously cracked me up. I am sure I would make hilarious mistakes like that if I DIY'd more thrifting finds. Other than the mishap, it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, the pocket mishap made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so proud of you for altering this skirt!And what a hilarious story.Maybe you can stich close somehow the other pocket as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, I am guilty of rarely thinking out my alterations. But a think one pocket is a small price to pay for such a cute skirt!

    Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog- I'm so glad that college is done for the semester so I can finally start repaying comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are so funny! love it! very cute look xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha, very nice! :) "The Lone Pocket"-- too funny! Such an adorable look!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How unique -- a skirt with one pocket. In the long history of fashion, I don't think that's ever occurred before. Be proud.

    I don't know if anyone's ever told you this before but I really respect how frequently you post outfits. That shows commitment. And makes your blog more interesting than others (like mine).

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).