Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Day One: In the Land of Nosh Opping


I embarked on my journey into the peculiar land of Nosh Opping today.  It is truly a strange country; all credit cards had to be left at the border and there are no thrift stores.  I do not know how long I will last here, but I am dedicated to exploring the currently uncharted region the locals call The Giants Closet, so I will hold out as long as I am able.

For the first day of my expedition, I wore the following:



I paired a pleated skirt (thrifted) with a silk tank (Anna & Frank, thrifted), an open open-weave cardigan (Eddie Bauer, thrifted), animal print booties (80%20 via Piperlime), lion drop earrings (vintage), a cameo bracelet (vintage) and a long necklace (thrifted). 

The pleated skirt probably looks familiar as I wear it often.  The booties are also a favorite of mine and have been seen before, but the silk blouse and the cardigan may be less familiar.  I actually found these artifacts as I explored The Giants Closet today, which was encouraging.    It is my hope that I will find similarly pleasing items as I explore the region, but I know this will not always be the case.  There are bound to be pitfalls filled with sharpened stakes and/or ill-fitting clothes.

Pitfalls or no, I shall continue to document my progress in Nosh Opping, and The Giants Closet, for as long as I am able to resist the lure of thrift stores in the outside world.

Happy Wednesday, All!

Gracey

P.S. For those of you wondering what the heck I’m talking about, this post will help explain.

20 comments:

  1. Ha! I love the way you write :)

    Love those leopard print booties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nosh Opping!!! LOL! At first, I was, like, what the...? But as I was waiting for the post to load, I quickly figured it out. And then it just gotter funnier as I continued reading!

    There is something simple, yet sweet and chic about your "findings" in the Giant's Closet. I can't wait to see where your journey takes you next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so slow. It took me two to three reads to get "Nosh Opping." Good luck on your endeavor! I imagine you will succeed because your closet is full of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here be dragons, for sure. I'm not exactly journeying with you, but I've got a very short list of wardrobe hole-pluggers I'm allowing myself to look for, but definitely not going for the impulsive thrift buys, among other things.

    Love the mix of neutrals you've got here; very cool and elegant-looking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I love that you are exploring the Giant's Closet - and good luck with keeping it up. I think you should start a trend of Nosh Opping :) We could all do with giving our wardrobes a re-jig every now and again!

    Sadie xx
    http://whatsadiedid.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look so classy and well put-together! Ah! So cute.
    -kw, ladiesinnavy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun. I'm curious whether you found anything to get rid of while finding something to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stay strong, Sistah. I'm shopping my own closet, but only have to wait a week until a thrifting date with Megan Mae :P

    As always, you look beautiful, but I am lovin' the super long gold chain, somethin' super-shrimps like myself can long for, but never wear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are the coolest, girlfriend. And I love the pleated skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm on shopping hiatus too... Good luck!

    Helene
    Bon Vivant + a Budget

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been trying to stay in the Land of Nosh Opping myself, but I keep venturing back over the border for impulsive day trips to the Land of Inter Netsh Opping--a sister country, if you will. Once those earrings arrive, though, I'm applying for a Nosh Opping work visa. Hopefully I'll be able to look as fancy as you do! (Well, I feel pretty good about this recent 30 for 30, so hopefully doing a...150 for 150, or however many garments I have, will work out as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've lived on the border of Nosh Opping for a long time. I occasionally wander into the neighboring countries where consumerism is rampant, but only for the local flavors of thrift shops. (: Being poor really motivates me to not spend money, though, I'll say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the way it feels when you say "nosh opping" kinda tickles the tongue :) Looooove your gray cardi, definitely a great closet find!

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    Enter my HANDBAG GIVEAWAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are too funny! I laughed reading this entire post! I am basically in "Nosh Opping" land myself. It is rough terrain, but I am hoping to make it out braver and stronger!

    Hannah Tattoos and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute outfit! I really love your animal print booties

    Hudson East
    HudsonEast.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. you look so cool and sleek

    ReplyDelete
  17. I ADORE your pleated black skirt and leopard booties! Such a fun, chic look!

    xoxo,
    Rachel
    Rachel’s Lookbook

    ReplyDelete
  18. gracey, i marvel every time i see these shoes! very nice feminine professional with a hint of edge outfit. are you glad you investigated your closet? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. those bootiiiieeeeees. gimme! so cute.

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).